Bus driver who crashed level crossing barrier guilty

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Blaze

#1 Post by Blaze »

5 years after a school bus was hit by a train on a level crossing in Millas, killing 6 children and injuring 17, the bus driver has been found guilty and sentenced to 5 years prison. The sentence will be served at her home with an electronic bracelet.
The families think the sentence is too lenient. Equally, the driver's lawyers are pressing for a lighter sentence, pleading her mental state.
https://actu.fr/occitanie/perpignan_661 ... 80874.html

The driver still insists that the barriers were up but the court said she "unintentionally" drove through the barriers ....

MAD87

#2 Post by MAD87 »

Another unsatisfactory conclusion by a court, imo. I followed the trial early on, and I seem to recall diagrams of the road just before the barrier making it impossible to do what she was accused of, without being fast asleep that is.
Oh well, there was never any danger of SNCF being convicted...

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

MAD87 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:23 am seem to recall diagrams of the road just before the barrier making it impossible to do what she was accused of, without being fast asleep that is.
If my memory serves me well, she was taking some sort of medication at the time. I've never seen any mention of the state of the barrier afterwards, no photographs of the broken pieces, nor of damage made by said barrier to the front of the bus.
Since they're never going to get rid of all the level crossings, perhaps SNCF should install surveillance cameras ....