Taxi Drivers joining the Farmers' Protests

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Doug

#21 Post by Doug »

We always look first at where produce comes from and prefer french.
Never from Turkey, Israel, Argentina,USA,Canada.
Always purchase things in bulk when on offer and freeze, all meats are locally produced.
Some time ago we spent a long weekend near Blaye where on a Saturday there is a magnificent market with a lot of fish traders, brought a couple of kilo's back and froze.
Have wanted to do a repeat since beginning of Dec. but storms, floods now a fishing ban has stopped us so far.

Hotrodder

#22 Post by Hotrodder »

We always look to see where the produce is coming from, preferring to buy French if possible, but can't justify the sometime huge difference in price. Sometimes we just don't buy the item if both local and imported seem too expensive. Local street markets? Only tempted once in over 20 years, due to prices. I have no issue with quality (apart from beef), just price. Breton pork is excellent but we find we are eating less meat anyway, again, due to price.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#23 Post by exile »

I too am driven by price even though perhaps I am not as constrained as others.

I have no problem however buying NZ lamb when available. 1/3rd the price of EU lamb. French pork, which is excellent is bought in bulk when the prices are right. Our supermarket had a deal last week of while shoulder at €2.90/kg. It needed some cutting up but not to be missed.

We too eat less meat than we used to.

Fish? So far from the coast, prices are somewhat higher than elsewhere but we still enjoy as and when.

p4psb

#24 Post by p4psb »

Blaze

#25 Post by Blaze »

Fingers crossed. We went to Rennes yesterday and had to take a rather longer cross country route to avoid blockades on the 4 voies (no motorways in Brittany). This afternoon a load of tractors drove through Saint-Malo and blocked the Leclerc carpark, so Leclerc remained closed this afternoon. However, the word seems to be going round that some of the blockades have been lifted.

The government has announced measures to appease the farmers of the order of 400 million euros.
This is as well as a partial tax rebate on red diesel ....
I read somewhere that the inheritance issue is being addressed ....

L Austin France

#26 Post by L Austin France »

Mme set off for Caen at 0600 hrs this morning for 1750 hrs ferry to the UK.
Apparently a lot of the blockades were shown on Google maps so she ducked & dived arriving at the ferry port at about 1500 hrs. Nine hours for a reputed 4 hour drive.
Long time driving but very happy to be there until she was one out of three cars directed into the customs shed for checking. Didn't appreciate it when I said "lots of old grannies are used as drugs mules".
Any road a few laughs later she was on the ferry with the bonus of being on the lorry deck for quick exit.
What with the Mutt problems it's been a funny old day :)

niemeyjt

#27 Post by niemeyjt »

Well I ended up doing Lausanne to the Tunnel via Basel after all around Dijon was showing blocked - maybe 2 sides of a triangle - but it gave me the option of popping over the border into Germany if there was a blockage.

In the end, apart from a small convoy on A26 in the other direction, there was nothing - so I ended up arriving several hours early. Luckily the train was all but empty so easy to swap.

niemeyjt

#28 Post by niemeyjt »

Blaze wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:27 pmThe government has announced measures to appease the farmers of the order of 400 million euros.
This is as well as a partial tax rebate on red diesel ....
I read somewhere that the inheritance issue is being addressed ....
Does anyone know where I can get seeds for the magic money tree?

Blaze

#29 Post by Blaze »

My thoughts too ...

Polarengineer

#30 Post by Polarengineer »

so that’s about €570 each, that should help pay the electric bill for a week.