Weather ... again

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
curtis

Weather ... again

#151 Post by curtis »

Excellent results and the explosions aren't too big.
I tried tipping allsorts down the holes and nothing worked. (Petrol, diesel, oil)

Doug

Weather ... again

#152 Post by Doug »

curtis wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:08 pm Excellent results and the explosions aren't too big.
I tried tipping allsorts down the holes and nothing worked. (Petrol, diesel, oil)
I never light it, the stink does the trick.
Have killed wasp nests in the lawn though with a bit of petrol then throw a match at it.

Lori

Weather ... again

#153 Post by Lori »

Doug wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm I never light it, the stink does the trick.
Wouldn't that just make them move to an area a foot over where this is not petrol, diesel, oil, etc. ??

Doug

Weather ... again

#154 Post by Doug »

Lori wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 pm
Doug wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:36 pm I never light it, the stink does the trick.
Wouldn't that just make them move to an area a foot over where this is not petrol, diesel, oil, etc. ??
Well for years it's worked for me.

exile

Weather ... again

#155 Post by exile »

The fumes permeate down the runs @Lori .
Moles have poor eyesight and so rely heavily on the senses of smell and touch (ability to sense vibration from potential prey) to survive. Cutting off or smothering their sense of smell means they have to move on.
I prefer to use Calcium Carbide which in contact with any moisture produces a very impure and smelly version of acetylene gas and so essentially does the same thing. I am not sure if the acetylene influences them but the smelly impurities will certainly disrupt their life. The by-products are probably a bit less environmentally unfriendly than diesel but the quantities @Doug uses are small. However getting your hands on Calcium Carbide these days is becoming more and more a challenge. The days of popping into the hardware store in Pont-en-Royans and buying a kilo in a paper bag* have long gone. You probably have to buy a 50kg drum these days.

* and as I remember all too well on one occasion, exiting to a thunderstorm which did its best to soak the bag and the contents! - as well as me but that was of lesser consequence.

Quiksilver

Weather ... again

#156 Post by Quiksilver »

+1 here for Le Detaupeur. Works within an hour, more effective if you leave the casualty in the gallery. I don't get more moving in, or at least not for a few years.

Bayleaf

Weather ... again

#157 Post by Bayleaf »

R.I.P. Moles. Contentious I know, but they still have as much right to live on this earth as we do (gets strong hat on in advance of responses!)

Frost this morning - even some on the top of the shetland, he's usually black and it looks like he turned grey overnight (I know the feeling!) :lol:

Hotrodder

Weather ... again

#158 Post by Hotrodder »

I have used everything apart from calcium carbide with little or no effect. Diesel fumes from my tractor, liquid diesel, sump oil, various traps and devices including the Detauper (I have two that will be sold at a boot fair this summer) that I found became too expensive to use, I used marine distress flares, and homemade fireworks. The only thing I haven't tried is the Rodenator that is way too expensive. See Youtube for demonstrations. 'kin awesome!
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

Weather ... again

#159 Post by Doug »

To get back to weather.
We had a slight frost last night with ice all over the car.
What a change from last weekend when it was 28c here.

Lori

Weather ... again

#160 Post by Lori »

Doug wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am We had a slight frost last night
Yes, here too. I hope that is the last of it, but I do see a few morning temps of 4 in the days to come. Hopefully it won't drop below that ! I'd like my little vegetable patch to live.