Weather ... again

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Blaze

Weather ... again

#191 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm My sister is on holiday in Scotland at the moment - showing off blue skies, and white fluffy clouds. IN SCOTLAND, I say - that's nuts!
My sister lives in the far north of Harris and she's also enjoying beautiful sunshine, blue skies and white fluffy clouds !
Lori wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:20 pm Can't imagine living in Glasgow
That's what people say when they've never been there - that said, i'd hate to live in any city ! There's some wonderful architecture, parks and museums .... but of course it may have changed since I worked there years ago ....

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#192 Post by DominicBest »

L Austin France wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:35 pm
DominicBest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:19 pm I booked to have my boat lifted out of the water on Friday so I can antifoul it ready for the season. I booked the rendezvous and asked for a date after 1st of May because I didn’t trust the weather in March or April. Rain or not I will be doing it on Friday. The forecast says rain, lots of it.
That brings back memories of when we used to get our Eygthene 24 lifted out of the harbour & left hanging in the strops on the jetty whilst we rushed to wash it off & get it re-antifouled as crane charged by the hour .
Can't remember the name of the evil stuff we used but it was close to getting banned due to it's toxicity.
It was probably TBT you used, it was evil stuff. The modern sacrificial antifouling that I use is fairly harmless and easy to apply. I do the whole thing in a day because it works out much cheaper that way. The boat gets lifted out first thing and put back in the water at the last minute. It’s a day I dread but in fact I enjoy it and feel pleased when it’s done and dusted. My boat is so small it looks like a toy when it’s slung under the cranes they use.

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#193 Post by DominicBest »

DominicBest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:53 pm Lori wrote: ↑Wed May 01, 2024 6:20 pm
Can't imagine living in Glasgow
That's what people say when they've never been there - that said, i'd hate to live in any city ! There's some wonderful architecture, parks and museums .... but of course it may have changed since I worked there years ago ....
I was looking at a Facebook post from Glasgow today posted by an old colleague who grew up there. She lived and worked all over the world in some pretty exotic places but returned to Glasgow when she and her husband retired. She has always had a real connection with the place.
My other friend who comes from Glasgow is currently in California. He goes for a few weeks every year at the end of the winter to recharge. The first time I visited Scotland was when I did an OU summer school in Edinburgh. It was blue sky and sunshine all week. More than a few people pointed out 5hat it wasn’t always like that.

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#194 Post by DominicBest »

Tri-butyl tin compounds used to be the poison of choice for anti-fouling. It is as you suggest highly toxic to the point where its use has been progressively banned on small vessels, so it may not be what you used.

I think for private boats it was probably banned in the ‘80s. My mother was a marine biologist and she told me about the devastating effect it had on the wildlife in and about yacht moorings and anchorages. We always had to take great care when using it. Even now the marina has a dedicated skip for all the waste from the cleaning and antifouling although the products used are much safer and easier to handle.

Bayleaf

Weather ... again

#195 Post by Bayleaf »

It was supposed to be just cloudy today, and dry tomorrow morning (sunny even!). That's changed already - constant rain forecast until next Wednesday.

I see on the Sud Ouest news there have been violent storms in the North of France, and one poor lady is dead after being carried away by a mudslide, and her husband is recovering in hospital.

Take care out there folks. :cry:

L Austin France

Weather ... again

#196 Post by L Austin France »

DominicBest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:53 pm It was probably TBT you used, it was evil stuff. The modern sacrificial antifouling that I use is fairly harmless and easy to apply. I do the whole thing in a day because it works out much cheaper that way. The boat gets lifted out first thing and put back in the water at the last minute. It’s a day I dread but in fact I enjoy it and feel pleased when it’s done and dusted. My boat is so small it looks like a toy when it’s slung under the cranes they use.
Yeah TBT, that's the stuff.
We had to leave it slung under the crane as the crane was an old fixed job & we had no cradle or trailer to support the fin keeler.

Polly

Weather ... again

#197 Post by Polly »

Dreadful for that poor couple and family, Bayleaf.

We had thunderstorms here in Berkshire from around midnight to 06h-ish, really dramatic, with huge downpours - borders flooded yet again. The worst is one with plants known for withstanding dry weather for coping with droughts! ☹️

Blaze

Weather ... again

#198 Post by Blaze »

DominicBest wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:58 pm The first time I visited Scotland was when I did an OU summer school in Edinburgh. It was blue sky and sunshine all week. More than a few people pointed out 5hat it wasn’t always like that.
That, I would entirely agree with ! I used to reckon it rained 10 months of the year when we lived about an hour north-west of Glasgow and that the best months were May and June. As I often worked outside, I was very conscious of how wet it was ... And there were the midges ...
However, I'm told that things have changed up there (climate change ?) and that it isn't as wet as it used to be. We left Scotland a long time ago and when you look at how weather patterns seem to have changed in France recently, it's quite possible.
It's beautiful up there, so unspoilt and so easy to get away from everyone and everything ....

Lori

Weather ... again

#199 Post by Lori »

Blaze wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:29 pm That's what people say when they've never been there
I've been there. Husband had a work assignment there for 2 years.

L Austin France

Weather ... again

#200 Post by L Austin France »

Lori wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:46 am
Blaze wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:29 pm That's what people say when they've never been there
I've been there. Husband had a work assignment there for 2 years.
We love Scotland.
Inlaws live on Hoy with the most magnificent panoramic views across to Flotta.
Usually visit every year & always nice to drive up through Scotland to see them but at 3,000 km round trip with 6 ferries even with stopping off on route it's beginning to be an Isle too far.