Weather ... again

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Blaze

Weather ... again

#1 Post by Blaze »

Most of the time our area in the north of Brittany seems to be sheltered from the terrible weather that we hear about elsewhere.
But today, we are getting a little taste of it : extremely windy, up to Force 10 coming from the north, so straight at us. It finds every chink in the badly fitted PVC windows, and as for the front door with a tiny gap under the bottom and round the sides ..... the rain loves it ! The shutter helps, but with the plumber going in and out, it's not ideal.
Rafal is, like a cat, always on the wrong side of the kitchen door which is fortunately on the south side of the house and in the lee of the wind.

Quiksilver

Weather ... again

#2 Post by Quiksilver »

Do you have a back door that he could use? :)
We're just waiting for the whole caboodle to slither off down the slope :D We did have a similar amount of rain back in spring of 2008 when constructing the house, but with each year that goes by we wonder whether the foundations and drains that seemed adequate at the time will bear up to these extremes. Our village was declared a natural catastrophe due to sécheresse last summer :roll:
The only weakness re. draughts is the cat door. When the wind blows from the south, it doesn't shut properly. Being open plan, we certainly get plenty of fresh air :D

Blaze

Weather ... again

#3 Post by Blaze »

Quiksilver wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:37 pm Being open plan, we certainly get plenty of fresh air
:lol: We say the draughts are the reason we don't need a VMC !
The prevailing wind here is south-westerly but in winter it sometimes goes round to the north. The through-draughts are wonderful in the summer, they keep the house cool (we have to keep door blocked to avoid slamming). Fortunately the strong northerlies are not too often - and at least it isn't cold !!

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#4 Post by DominicBest »

I spent the weekend camping in the Dordogne. A great time was had by all but riding back in the strong winds and torrential rain yesterday was, hopefully, a once in a lifetime experience.
When I went out into the garden this afternoon I was surprised to see that I now live much closer to the Charente than I did when I left home on Friday morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bayleaf

Weather ... again

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

Wow - being someone who lives in the NE of Dordogne, you were brave camping out this weekend - and I don't envy you the journey home either!

It was absolutely fowl here most of the weekend, and the fields opposite resemble the lake district again - showing up the dips in the paddocks next to the river. Below us, where the rivers will be converging, they're on Orange alert for flooding. :(

DominicBest

Weather ... again

#6 Post by DominicBest »

I will have passed very close by your home then. I use a route that takes me from east of Perigeux up to Nontron. Nice quiet roads with no traffic.

Lori

Weather ... again

#7 Post by Lori »

It must have been quite chilly camping over the weekend. I would not have been able to do it.

Dreadful weather.

Doug

Weather ... again

#8 Post by Doug »

I was going to say hurra for March arriving after the wettest February in our 36 years of living in France, but its started same as Feb did--- torrential rain.
We had 114mm of wet,( last year 12mm)
Coldest night this Feb -2.1 (last year -4.2)
Highest this Feb 19.8c (last year 19.5)

Quiksilver

Weather ... again

#9 Post by Quiksilver »

This is beyond the pale (or pail) now! Despite a forecast for a couple of dry days, it's persisting down again :( I have been known to grumble about the hours spent watering between June and November, but at least that's a choice.

glazedallover

Weather ... again

#10 Post by glazedallover »

Quiksilver wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:19 am This is beyond the pale (or pail) now! Despite a forecast for a couple of dry days, it's persisting down again :( I have been known to grumble about the hours spent watering between June and November, but at least that's a choice.
it looked like it would rain here about 13h00 but it held off, brightened up a bit and I managed to cut the grass ! Should be even brighter tomorrow so same again hopefully......