Electric bill

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
hughnique

Electric bill

#31 Post by hughnique »

Finally had a call from EDF last week, the lady I spoke to was very sympathetic and said it was ridiculously high, anyway she said I could do a test on the meter, by turning everything off and then pressing the button twice, at which point I would see if the meter was registering any stray consumption. Tried that, firstly my meter has 2 buttons a +, and a -, pressing these only gave me a lot of figures as to the type of meter and the date and time. So Christ knows where this is going, I can't begin to fathom out where we get a doubling of the both HC and HP within a two month period, it surely has been a pretty mild winter, sure a few cold days but nothing exceptional. I can foresee that they will show me the bill again and request payment.

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#32 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hughnique, turning everything off is a no current flow situation. Measuring nothing, or a stray current to somewhere else. See this diagram, easy to measure. More difficult is the calibration of meters, are they telling the truth. Not yet mentioned by the EDF lady.

Hotrodder

Electric bill

#33 Post by Hotrodder »

And they try to frighten us by setting high charges for a meter test that turns out there is nothing wrong. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#34 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Hotrodder, hence my suggestion to experiment with a load of approximately known power, everything else switched off, for one, two or three hours.

Liz

Electric bill

#35 Post by Liz »

We had our annual EDF bill today with the adjusted payment and a new payment calendar for the coming year. All reasonable considering in November we switched from oil to pac air to existing radiators - so no oil tank to refill and used more leccy.
I haven"t got around to linking our Linky meter to our EDF Espace Client to do daily checks. I see some of you do check daily, is this how you do it or is their another way? Our Linky is not in a convenient place for peering at every day
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

L Austin France

Electric bill

#36 Post by L Austin France »

Liz wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:20 pm We had our annual EDF bill today with the adjusted payment and a new payment calendar for the coming year. All reasonable considering in November we switched from oil to pac air to existing radiators - so no oil tank to refill and used more leccy.
I haven"t got around to linking our Linky meter to our EDF Espace Client to do daily checks. I see some of you do check daily, is this how you do it or is their another way? Our Linky is not in a convenient place for peering at every day
Do it every week otherwise you'll end up a nervous twitching wreck every time you switch the kettle on. :lol:

Liz

Electric bill

#37 Post by Liz »

I'm not the twitching type :lol:
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Doug

Electric bill

#38 Post by Doug »

We ignore all offers as our yearly EDF costs are below € 1000 well below the average according to EDF.

Lori

Electric bill

#39 Post by Lori »

Our Linky is connected to our Espace Client and yes, that is how we check our daily use. And I do check it just about every single day, especially in Winter.

A.N.Other

Electric bill

#40 Post by A.N.Other »

I hadn't realised it had got so expensive in France, could be worse though I guess, you could live in Italy!
I won't comment on the price in Spain :shh:

https://tradingeconomics.com/france/electricity-price

I don't have an official Smart meter but do have my own with which I can observe usage in real time and it easily paid for itself in the first 2 or 3 months.

https://geotogether.com/product/minim-led/

I only pay for what actually use, no standing charges or the like. The downside is that I have no option for day/night rates etc, it's flat rate only and currently I pay €0.39/kWh.