Boar damage

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Polarengineer

Boar damage

#21 Post by Polarengineer »

Polarengineer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:38 pm Our local farmer has extensive damage to his fields every year. He is president of the local hunt, which proves he and his gang are not very good shots. He runs a flail mower over the clods and it chops up the clods, re-distributing the fibre roots evenly. My adjacent field is surrounded with an electric fence at low level to keep the boar out, it works so far.
Bugger... no soon declared boar free when they bust through the electric fence and ploughed a good bit of the field. I think there is at least one boar with rubber gloves. I rewired the fence yesterday and am waiting for first light to check if it stopped them last night.

Veem

Boar damage

#22 Post by Veem »

Polarengineer wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:44 am
Polarengineer wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:38 pm Our local farmer has extensive damage to his fields every year. He is president of the local hunt, which proves he and his gang are not very good shots. He runs a flail mower over the clods and it chops up the clods, re-distributing the fibre roots evenly. My adjacent field is surrounded with an electric fence at low level to keep the boar out, it works so far.
Bugger... no soon declared boar free when they bust through the electric fence and ploughed a good bit of the field. I think there is at least one boar with rubber gloves. I rewired the fence yesterday and am waiting for first light to check if it stopped them last night.
Our neighbouring farmer told us a while ago that whereas electric fencing might keep boar out, if they do manage to get in, it can equally keep them from getting out!!

Quiksilver

Boar damage

#23 Post by Quiksilver »

I'd love to know what it was that tunnelled into my compost heap from the top, right the way through, and exited in a big pile of (lovely) compost :shock: The hole's much too big for a rat. Ragondin perhaps? Badger? Oh well, I'll take it as a subtle hint that it's time to empty the bays :D Might treat myself to one of those night-vision recording cameras for Christmas....Bet that would be an eye-opener!