Daisy Fleabane

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Bayleaf

Daisy Fleabane

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

also known as Erigeron Annuus (note the extra n and u! ;) ), related to the Aster family. I first noticed one of these plants, a couple of years ago, growing in our weed-abundant paddock behind the barn. Long-flowering, I thought, how lovely - another gift from nature. Last year there were a couple, but I noticed more in other gardens and along grassy road verges. This year, they seem to be everywhere! I have about half a dozen plants in the area where the first one appeared. So, I looked them up, to see how much of a potential problem they might be, and where they may have come from - America apparently! :crazy: Now they seem prolific. They seem harmless enough, are very pretty, and apparently have more positives than negatives - the most known characteristic being as an insect repellent, namely fleas (hence the name), as bunches of them would be stuffed in the doorways of homes to keep fleas out. Fascinating little plant - I'm going to keep a small bunch in the kitchen and see if it also keeps general insects away!
Daisy Fleabane.jpg
Anyone else come across them? They were a popular ancient medicinal plant years ago. It looks like they're making a come back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

Daisy Fleabane

#2 Post by Lori »

Oh yes, we have some in our garden too. And some similar ones that are yellow instead of white.

demi

Daisy Fleabane

#3 Post by demi »

Had them in my last garden in UK & son has them here in France. Very pretty but seed everywhere!

niemeyjt

Daisy Fleabane

#4 Post by niemeyjt »

Sounds like a Beatrix Potter character.

Strange they repel insects - I thought Composites (sorry, should be Asteroids or somesuch) were insect pollenated.

Bayleaf

Daisy Fleabane

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

niemeyjt wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:53 pm Sounds like a Beatrix Potter character.

Strange they repel insects - I thought Composites (sorry, should be Asteroids or somesuch) were insect pollenated.
They are good pollinators, but not for fleas.... If Daisy Fleabane were a BP character, she'd be a mummy rabbit I reckon! :lol: