The power of bamboo

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
RobertArthur

The power of bamboo

#11 Post by RobertArthur »

All quiet on the Bamboo Front. Ten years ago the roots pushed - after their escape through the "surplein" pipe - the surrounding stones of the little pond into the water. Had to build an extra defense line of concrete of about 60 cm deep and rebuild the wall. The stones were recovered by my brother in law, he likes fishing and has a rubber fishing suit.

Char
Site Admin

The power of bamboo

#12 Post by Char »

We've got several huge bamboo forests, one of which has over the last couple of years starting trying to invade our neighbours field. Not a lot we can do about it though other than keep cutting it back and cutting the shoots when they appear over the fence.
I wonder if you can adopt Pandas....... mmm

RobertArthur

The power of bamboo

#13 Post by RobertArthur »

Always eager to escape these guys, outside one of our garden walls. Two weeks ago: nothing to see.

Polly

The power of bamboo

#14 Post by Polly »

Wow, that’s speedy growth!

A favourite outing of ours, especially with visitors, is a visit to the wonderful Bambouseraie in the Cévennes. I could swear that if you glance away, some of the more than 1,000 types of bamboo will definitely have grown when you look back! It’s a really interesting visit, made even more interesting by taking the steam train from Anduze or St Jean-du-Gard.

We were particularly lucky pre-Covid to go on a private guided visit on a day when the Bambouseraie was closed and visited areas usually closed to visitors. A splendid memory.

RobertArthur

The power of bamboo

#15 Post by RobertArthur »

Garden on top of garden wall. Bamboo leaves as fertilizer.