Grape leaves - disease?

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Lori

Grape leaves - disease?

#1 Post by Lori »

Does anyone have any idea what this is. They appear to be some sort of bubble on some of the grape leaves. No idea what it is; weather related, disease/bacteria related.

If you know what it is, can you tell me what I'm supposed to do about it??

Many thanks in advance.
IMG_20230626_184315.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

Grape leaves - disease?

#2 Post by Lori »

Okay, I think I've answered my own question. What did we do without the Internet? It's blister mites. Apparently, there is little the home grower can do about it. We've picked hundreds of grape leaves and frozen them to make stuffed grape leaves. None of this was visible on any of the leaves, but I guess they are too small to see. Hopefully, the freezing process will kill them off....

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible ... -mites.htm

sparkyjo

Grape leaves - disease?

#3 Post by sparkyjo »

We've had these mites on our vine since forever and often wondered what they are. We've always had a reasonable crop of grapes. Last year, even though we had a ton of grapes, we picked very few. The hornets got to them first and if I tried to cut a bunch, they came for me. Going to try putting a blown up brown paper bag up this year. It's supposed to make them think there is a large nest there already so they don't stay. Fingers crossed.

Quiksilver

Grape leaves - disease?

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

Home-made plastic bottle traps also work well, sparkyjo. Cut the top off to make a funnel (inverted into the rest of the bottle), staple together, punch a couple of holes, one either side near the top and thread some string or wire so you can hang it up. Half-fill with diluted wine, beer, syrup and / or jam. (Ideal for using up out-of-date stuff). If using beer, make sure there's plenty of a sugary element too. Hornets, wasps and flies go in but can't get out. They don't seem to attract bees or hoverflies :angel:

Lori

Grape leaves - disease?

#5 Post by Lori »

Thanks for the replies. I guess we'd better get ready to try to fend off the other creatures. I've used the plastic bottle method for wasps around a swimming pool. Worked reasonably well. The brown paper bag idea is interesting. However, you'd have to put up a new one every time it rained, etc.

And we have 200 vines. So, I imagine that would require a LOT of brown bags.