Mowing can be dangerous

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Blaze

Mowing can be dangerous

#11 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:49 am I'm not sure how that can even happen, unless security sensors had been removed?
All ride-ons have safety cut-outs but some people "fudge" them because they find them annoying. Neither of us is heavy so our cuts out easily if we lean over too far but we've never had the slightest desire to modify it ...

Hotrodder

Mowing can be dangerous

#12 Post by Hotrodder »

Two points.
The neighbour's mower was unmodified. The safety cut out works by sensing the seat rising slightly. As he was pushed backward his considerable weight was planted even more firmly in the seat and the cut out didn't do its job until the mower was already on top of him.

I have bypassed the cutout on my mower because cutting my field is like riding one of those electric bulls they have in American cowboy bars. The moles have turned it into an extremely bumpy ride, not the best of things for someone with a long term spinal problem.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Bayleaf

Mowing can be dangerous

#13 Post by Bayleaf »

Sounds like a big bloke on a small mower - going uphill? Lucky it didn't break his back! Hopefully he can watch you from the comfort of his recovery chair, and maybe rethink his methods of mowing!

Hotrodder

Mowing can be dangerous

#14 Post by Hotrodder »

His accident was less to do with the size of the mower but his underestimating the strength of the bramble crossing his path.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Polarengineer

Mowing can be dangerous

#15 Post by Polarengineer »

The bramble is not so strong, it is the natural reaction to back off from the thorns.

L Austin France

Mowing can be dangerous

#16 Post by L Austin France »

Grass was a bit wet this morning so I waited 'til after lunch so I could get a decent cut.
Got less than five minutes into cutting this afternoon & it started hissing down.
Determined to finish what I'd started I got a large golf umberella out which kept me & most of the ride on dry.
Worked fine until I came to the orchard bit with overhanging branches I normally can duck under.
Mowing when you're visually impaired can be dangerous :lol: