Scalping device for strimmer

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Bayleaf

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

I'm appealing to the wise ones who have commented before about the best machinery for particular ground maintenance jobs!

I have a sloe, prunier hedge running along one side of a paddock. They self seed like mad, and subsequently lots of little whips repeatedly grow up, and being very spikey, they're not animal friendly. I usually just get out there with a sharp lopper, crouching down to cut them, at ground level, and clear them away. But this is getting harder and painstakingly slow! They have to be cut/scalped from the ground and leave no sharp edge which can bruise hooves.

I know you can get metal attachments for strimmers (I have a meaty petrol Stihl strimmer, so preferably compatible with this). We do have a metal attachment somewhere, but very old and .... it's somewhere ..... :? The plastic cord just won't be tough enough.

I'm sure there are better things on the market now. Any ideas; without breaking the bank?! 8-)

Hotrodder

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

Your Stihl strimmer is as good as it gets for that configuration of tool. Mine came with a 3-eared steel cutter that I immediately removed because a nylon thread system was lighter and more efficient for my purpose. I kept the blade for years and ended up sending it to the tip unused. You can probably fit one to yours. https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/brands/sti ... des-guards
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

There are various metal blades for Stihl. I suggest one with six blades not three as it will cut branches but will be less likely to stop if you hit something solid which can throw bearings.

Bayleaf

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

Ah, thank you. Great link, thanks. The 6 blade sounds good - but not shown on that site. May have to go and have a chat with the local Stihl supplier! 8-)

Thank you both for the advice.

L Austin France

#5 Post by L Austin France »

I find this types of blade works well for the type of job you're talking about.
Cheap enough to give one a go & doesn't have to be a Stihl product.
https://www.amazon.fr/Greenstar-23754-D ... 9hdGY&th=1

Polarengineer

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

This is what I use for the broom growing in the forest
https://www.amazon.fr/Greenstar-pointe- ... hdGY&psc=1

I also use it above the cords trimmer head as a combination, it works very well for very long grass and nettles and some brambles, however, the three bladed mulched is ideal for brambles.
https://www.amazon.fr/Greenstar-23210-D ... 216&sr=8-6

niemeyjt

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

From Stihl catalog:
stihl1.png
I recommend the one ringed as it is still very strong, but in the event of hitting something solid it is less likely to throw the bearings compared to the two and three-bladed versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

L Austin France

#8 Post by L Austin France »

The OP wants to 'scalp' the shoots to leave nothing above ground so I stand by my suggestion of a 'hooked' blade to get down below the surface.
Here's a 320mm Stihl version. Smaller 270mm ones are available.
https://www.toolstoday.co.uk/stihl-shre ... mm-2-teeth.
Dunno about "throw the bearings". I've abused several strimmers with all sorts of blades & never had a bearing problem in the strimmer head.

Hotrodder

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

That's the beauty of Stihl, certainly the older ones. They take the abuse and keep on truckin'.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Polarengineer

#10 Post by Polarengineer »

Lots of experiences and opinions, the best thing would be to get one of each type (they are cheap enough) and see which gives the best results for your particular requirement.