Scalping device for strimmer

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
niemeyjt

#11 Post by niemeyjt »

L Austin France wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:48 amI've abused several strimmers with all sorts of blades & never had a bearing problem in the strimmer head.
Ditto - although I restricted myself to the four cutter blades. But like you, I use Stihl and not CCC. The issue apparently is if the blade hits something solid and stops suddenly.
Hotrodder wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:46 pmThat's the beauty of Stihl, certainly the older ones. They take the abuse and keep on truckin'.
I agree - my favourite is my old (80s) FS86 - Stihl badged Zenoah I think - before Husqvarna bought Zenoah.

Bayleaf

#12 Post by Bayleaf »

Those all look great (if a little intimidating!) My only other problem will be carefully raking up all the sharp stems and spikey bits afterwards. I know, I should never have let the Sloe bushes grow into a hedge, but their blossom is amazing in the Spring! :roll:

Mr B is thinking of using the small mower - gradually lowering the deck, and collecting at the same time. I'm not so sure! :?

We also have to find the adaptor to change the strimmer head from string to blade .....

Lori

#13 Post by Lori »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:13 pm We also have to find the adaptor to change the strimmer head from string to blade .....
We had our local Stihl dealership install the different head for us.

Bayleaf

#14 Post by Bayleaf »

Just remembered this topic and never gave a conclusion! We went for an 8blade cutting disc in the end - 10€ from Mr Bricolage. It worked brilliantly. I still had to clear up all the cuttings, but hopefully I can now keep the area under control better.

Thanks again for all the advice. Will now be putting the strimmer cord back on as normal strimming season commences ...

Quiksilver

#15 Post by Quiksilver »

Do you enjoy strimming, Bayleaf? It's one of the few gardening jobs that I really dislike and I've got to do round the agrilac soon so 'Sir' can get to the pump easily :roll:

Bayleaf

#16 Post by Bayleaf »

I don't mind it now I'm used to it. It used to terrify me, as the one we have is a bit of a beast! :lol: It can be very satisfying though, and apart from those pesky little sloe whips, I only tend to use it for clients who want tidy edges to their gardens. But it has to be morning work, as I wear a fair bit of protective gear which quickly cooks you in hot weather! :?

Mr B cannot do it anymore due to health problems, and I've yet to persuade my son to pick up the beast and scare the bejaysus out of everything in the vicinity due to the noise!

I like using a small ancient rather Heath Robinson type scythe for cutting small areas around the paddock - great at keeping docks and nettles and the like under control. No noise, no fumes, no pollution, no protective armour (apart from boots). Thinking of getting a proper big one, as there seems to be a resurgence in their use ....

Hotrodder

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

Beware........... the Grim Reaper carries one.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

#18 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am I like using a small ancient rather Heath Robinson type scythe for cutting small areas around the paddock - great at keeping docks and nettles and the like under control. No noise, no fumes, no pollution, no protective armour (apart from boots). Thinking of getting a proper big one, as there seems to be a resurgence in their use ....
In that case you'll need one of these

Bayleaf

#19 Post by Bayleaf »

Wassat that then?

L Austin France

#20 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm Wassat that then?
Give it a while & I'll tell yer.