Broyeur de branches ( branch chipper)

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
L Austin France

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Anybody got one of these they can recommend ?
I'm looking to buy a decent one with a 'proper' petrol engine but the market seems a minefield.
Our go to local Agri Bannalec, where I can usually get some good advice, has shut down (soon to be BricoDepot apparently) so I can't look there.

Polarengineer

#2 Post by Polarengineer »

You may want to avoid anything with a Briggs and Stratton engine for this application. the B&S magneto flywheel drive is via a tiny woodruff key which fails from the shock of the cutter knives. I have had two fail, which, one would not expect from B&S. I have also had the cutter disc explode from weld fatigue. I suggest a PTO driven multiknife cutter.

L Austin France

#3 Post by L Austin France »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:50 pm You may want to avoid anything with a Briggs and Stratton engine for this application. the B&S magneto flywheel drive is via a tiny woodruff key which fails from the shock of the cutter knives. I have had two fail, which, one would not expect from B&S. I have also had the cutter disc explode from weld fatigue. I suggest a PTO driven multiknife cutter.
Thanks for that info.
I'm looking for a petrol engined chipper as it's Mme LAF who wants to use it & her feet don't easily reach the pedals of our tractor whereas she could easily tow a petrol m/c with our lawn tractor.

Polarengineer

#4 Post by Polarengineer »

This sort of thing
https://www.agriexpo.online/prod/pmp-di ... 80555.html

Edit… posted before I saw your reply. I still think this is a better solution. you could set it up and let M.LAF feed it at her leasure.

Doug

#5 Post by Doug »

We have a MTD cs463 purchased of a neighbour in the Lot many years ago, its a really superb broyeur with one inlet for leaves and small branches and another for thicker branches.

L Austin France

#6 Post by L Austin France »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:03 pm This sort of thing
https://www.agriexpo.online/prod/pmp-di ... 80555.html

Edit… posted before I saw your reply. I still think this is a better solution. you could set it up and let M.LAF feed it at her leasure.
Yeah, I know all about the PTO driven jobbies having used them from time to time & my 65 cv tractor easily handles one.
The reason for the lawnmower towed m/c is that she wants to use it all over the 'estate' from borders to hedges to trees to save her little legs pushing a barrow to our tipping area & can easily be autonomous this way.

Polarengineer

#7 Post by Polarengineer »

In case you are tempted, my unit is a MacKissic LSC510 (American import to UK) which I believe they have changed the design to belt drive now probably because of the direct drive shock.

Headers

#8 Post by Headers »

Have a look at agricolt.fr
We bought a petrol driven drum chipper from them.
It’s an Italian company with a French office.
Delivered really quickly
It’s towable. Delivered in a crate and we had to put the wheels on.

It chips up to 13cm and spare blades and toothed belts are included. Easy to start key or pull start.

L Austin France

#9 Post by L Austin France »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:25 pm In case you are tempted, my unit is a MacKissic LSC510 (American import to UK) which I believe they have changed the design to belt drive now probably because of the direct drive shock.
Think I'd prefer something manufactured a bit closer to home.
The more I look at the things the larger my budget seems to get & I'm now looking at 'leccy start jobs as those will be easier for Mme & involve me less :lol:
I've got a telephone RDV on monday with the guy now ex. AB
who sold me my axial broyer as he's 'in the know' about these things & shouldn't BS me.

L Austin France

#10 Post by L Austin France »

Headers wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:09 pm Have a look at agricolt.fr
Cheers, I'll have a butchers.
Does it deal with vegetation & branches?