World Cup big screen viewing in France

:soccer:
Liz

#1 Post by Liz »

I spotted this on the Beeb:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-63132995
I agree with a lot of it, especially the Maire of Angouleme and Olivier Véran
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

niemeyjt

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

Perhaps a better protest would be if the French Team conducted a boycott.

But money talks . . .

Bayleaf

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Yep, if everyone involved in going, boycotted the whole event - It wouldn't happen?! Some just can't resist the smell of all that money though.

Think of the energy being used to keep the stadium air con'd etc.

Football in Qatar - it's all about the rich sucking up to the rich, comme d'habitude. :roll:

Sod the planet. :evil:

MAD87

#4 Post by MAD87 »

Whoa, slow down! As one maire said in an intervview yesterday, the cost of setting up a fan zone with screen was too much for his commune in terms of energy costs. He also said that indoor venues were not on the cards as they'd have to be heated.

Leaving aside the moral issues surrounding the construction of stadia in Qatar, I don't believe that any player is thinking of money at the WC - if they get to participate, they're living their dream.

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

But Blatter and Platini got their bribes . . .

qatar.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bayleaf

#6 Post by Bayleaf »

MAD87 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:39 am they're living their dream.
Unfortunately, I see lots of people more interested in living their dreams, than caring for the planet and it's inhabitants' future. That probably sounds harsh, but that's how I see it. :cry:

Loup-garou

#7 Post by Loup-garou »

The argument that the sport should be shared around to promote "The Beautiful Game" is very thin - especially as Blatter and Platini got as much out of it as the emerging nations - kerching! IMO South Africa and Russia were very iffy decisions. Infantino is a lightweight every bit as much as Blatter was overweight.

I agree with MAD in that, when it comes to the world cup, I don't think players consider money and I think some are genuinely devastated to be omitted from world cup squads. Off topic, I do think the salaries paid to footballers (in the English Game at least) are abhorrent and detest those players who would rather sit on a bench or languish at home rather than take a pay cut which would see them get a place in another team every week.

What I don't understand is why the world is just waking up to Qatar. It has bankrolled PSG for many years now to the disadvantage of other French clubs, it has TV football monopolies across the middle east and most of Africa (endorsed/protected by the English Premier League hierarchy) and was blacklisted by it's Arab League of Nations neighbours for its financial support to terrorist groups. That's leaving aside human rights and gay rights issues. How's the female game doing out there? Only thought of in 2010 as part of the the world cup bid.

Normally, I avoid commenting on the football threads as I tell myself "You have no strong feelings about The Game" and try to protect my blood pressure.

rabbit

#8 Post by rabbit »

If you thought Qatar was bad Saudi Arabia are now proposing to host the Winter Olympics - according to The Times today.

niemeyjt

#9 Post by niemeyjt »

Dubai already has an indoor ski slope - albeit not taxing enough for the Olympics.

The energy consumption to maintain ice when the outdoor temperature is 50 does not bear thinking about.

niemeyjt

#10 Post by niemeyjt »

As an aside - do the players in the national teams get paid extra when they play, and if so who by?