Hermoso vs. Rubiales

:soccer:
Blaze

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#1 Post by Blaze »

Having seen all the publicity about Rubiales kissing Hermoso without her consent, I looked at the video this morning.
When I saw that it was a quick peck, a spontaneous reaction out of the excitement and pleasure of winning, it all looks like a storm in a teacup.
Would there have been the same fuss if Rubiales had been a woman ? Would a male footballer have had the same reaction ?
Hermoso was quite happy with the hug and I can't help feeling that she's been pushed into a situation that seems to have spiralled out of proportion.

This is exactly the sort of publicity that could undermine any credibility/support women might have gained from the MeToo campaign.

Chappers51

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#2 Post by Chappers51 »

I watched the final part of the game on Sunday and, whilst he did peck the cheeks of several players, in this particular instance I didn’t see it as a quick peck on the cheeks but a kiss on the lips, which I feel is completely inappropriate.
I was also surprised to see him grabbing his crotch, earlier.
I don’t regard it as a storm in a teacup, but as the failure of a professional representative of his sport for his country failing to uphold the standards expected of him.

A hug or a peck on the cheek I believe would have been appropriate.

Bayleaf

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Apparently he has history as there are investigations of "unsuitable behaviour" from a year ago. Tough call, as we know the Mediterraneans love their passionate full lip kisses while in a headlock.

Wilbro

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#4 Post by Wilbro »

Whatever the ways of passionate Mediterraneans there is a time and a place.... and as for that crotch grab, that was a pathetically juvenile and inappropriate thing to do. The man's mentality showing through.

Blaze

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#5 Post by Blaze »

Chappers51 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:49 am I was also surprised to see him grabbing his crotch, earlier.
Who grabbed whose crotch ? ? I didn't realise he had previous for "unsuitable behaviour" - that's unacceptable.

If Ribiales has already had a go at Hermoso, she should have known that even a hug could be risky, and kept him at arm's length.
I agree a kiss on the lips is inappropriate - I've come across older men who try, it's most unpleasant but easy enough to turn the cheek in a pointed way. But if Hermoso had slapped him publicly, she'd have been accused of over-reacting .... and so it goes on.

With so many physical displays of pleasure in football, it might be more appropriate and safer to stick to a handshake than a hug.
It's sad that yet again, women have to defend themselves, knowing that men will try to play it down.

This photo shows that Hermoso didn't seem bothered with the proximity ...
_130907466_rfef.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Blaze on Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pathca

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#6 Post by Pathca »

When he was celebrating the win he was grabbing his own crotch. To me the objectionable part is him grabbing her head ,use of force is unacceptable

Bayleaf

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#7 Post by Bayleaf »

Pathca wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:30 am When he was celebrating the win he was grabbing his own crotch. To me the objectionable part is him grabbing her head ,use of force is unacceptable
Yes, that dominating action is probably what got people's attention - it looked like he was crushing her head (so she couldn't get away from the mouth to mouth kiss) When he apparently asked her for a kiss, maybe that's not what she had in mind. Someone else abusing their position of power, again? Shame it's completely overshadowed the World Cup win.

Blaze

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#8 Post by Blaze »

The trouble is, you let someone into your personal bubble, and it's hard to see the fine line. This photo is a good example :
Capture d’écran 2023-08-26 à 11.40.33.png
The trouble is, in the heat and excitement of the moment, people don't always think what they're doing.

Like many French women friends, Covid gave us a welcome release from having to faire la bise with everyone. Many of us today avoid it except with very close friends and family. I always preferred the German practice of shaking hands. It was hell on earth where we lived before because you were expected to do it 4 times and if you had a meeting with 20 or 30 people all of whom knew each other, getting the meeting started wasn't easy ! Admittedly, there is less bad breath around than there was 25 years ago :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glazedallover

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#9 Post by glazedallover »

Spain is not the best of places to be female .....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50257922

PS. Rubiales has been suspended by FIFA

PPS. Hopefully this is considered an acceptable hour to post so as not to be considered under the influence of Mr. Walker.

Lori

Hermoso vs. Rubiales

#10 Post by Lori »

I saw the crotch grab and the kiss. I thought they were both cringe worthy. The way he grabbed her head would not have allowed her to turn away from his kiss. He just looked/looks gross to me.

I don't know his history, but it looks like we'll all be hearing about it.

I think both were very poor decisions on his part. Both in very public places.