Listening to the radio.........

Hotrodder

#1 Post by Hotrodder »

.........today. One of my favourite blues only stations via internet. Heard this for the first time and couldn't stop laughing at the lyrics.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

curtis

#2 Post by curtis »

What's the name of the radio station ?

Bayleaf

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

:lol: :clap: He's not wrong! I used to watch (oh, the irony!) a children's tv show called "Why don't you (just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead)! :lol:

If we're now watching something that's interrupted by adverts, the sound goes off and some adverts I can't even bear to look at - gazing out the window or into the fire during the "interval" is preferable! :D Although, we do like to slag off most of the adverts and see through their lies..... :twisted:

Quiksilver

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

A sign of the times....I used to listen to Rock FM.ru, excellent 'oldies' spanning five decades and no adverts, but the ruskies have embraced marketing with a vengeance now. Still, at least a gabble in Russian is easily ignored and they've got quite a way to go to equal the ad-time on Western stations :D

Doug

#5 Post by Doug »

For us it's France music or French radio classic.
With jazz thrown in at times.

Hotrodder

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

curtis wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm What's the name of the radio station ?
It was Aardvark Blues FM (Live365)......or so it says on the internet radio. The content varies from fantastic to seriously boring. But the best thing is there is virtually no yap yap and ads are few and far between.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am :lol: :clap: He's not wrong! I used to watch (oh, the irony!) a children's tv show called "Why don't you (just switch off your television set and go and do something less boring instead)! :lol:

If we're now watching something that's interrupted by adverts, the sound goes off and some adverts I can't even bear to look at - gazing out the window or into the fire during the "interval" is preferable! :D Although, we do like to slag off most of the adverts and see through their lies..... :twisted:
Clearly a kindred spirit in that respect. Between the incessant ads for pre-paid funerals, cancer charities, starving children and mistreated donkeys if you watched them all you might be tempted to top yourself. Last night I happened to hear one of the life insurance ads brag that their policy would be valid for life and offered a guaranteed payout. Somebody please tell me what use it would be if it wasn't for life.

Sparkle

#8 Post by Sparkle »

I have an old transistor radio with FM/SW/MW/LW. I put new batteries in it yesterday and it works but I can only get French stations is it possible to get BBC World Service? Does BBC WS still exist? If so could someone tell me the frequency (is that what it's called? :roll: ) It would be useful to listen to during the night when I can't sleep :roll:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

curtis

#9 Post by curtis »

On the long wave 199 I think, depending on the reception in your area. That will be R4 and World service in the night. Except when it is interrupted by cricket.
If you have a tablet or smartphone you could listen to any online radio during the night.

Bayleaf

#10 Post by Bayleaf »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am Last night I happened to hear one of the life insurance ads brag that their policy would be valid for life and offered a guaranteed payout. Somebody please tell me what use it would be if it wasn't for life.
I particularly "like" the one where a young adult asks for life cover, "for as little as a cup of coffee per week". It could have a payout of over £100k - ooh, says the young adult, that would help pay off the mortgage for my wife/husband. ONLY IF YOU DIE! I shout at the tv! :lol: I think we need a "ripping the p*ss out of adverts" thread ......!