Bricomarche yet again

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
hughnique

Bricomarche yet again

#1 Post by hughnique »

Last week saw a special offer on a wireless door entry system in Bricomarche, I thought that it would replace the old hard wired one, which has seen better days. Two stores probably equidistant so number 1 had a display of said items with a special offer sign of description and the price of 189€, but closer inspection revealed that the ones behind the publicity poster were of a different make, and were priced at 289€, eventually they came up with a tale that they had never received the cheaper one, so why there was a poster there advertising them who knows, [ English, spin him a load of bullshit and he will go away], which did eventually work.
Store number 2, nothing to be seen on the section dealing with this type of stuff, so called a vendeur who again said possibly not received, so we went towards the exit when wifey spots a display with the item and only 2 left, so collared one paid for it and left.
The setup was pretty reasonable and easy, you need to make sure it works by operating the bell push in the same room, then took the push to the front gate and held it on the wall, doesn't work, then looking at the box it says that the range of 200m is reduced to 50m if you have, basically the bell push the other side of the gatepost and the monitor inside the house, what other configuration is possible I am at a loss to comprehend. Took it back to the store and then it kicked off, Exchange or credit note, no thanks refund, we don't give refunds sir, but the item does not do what it says it will, sorry that's our policy. After a heated discussion what chance have you got, one assistant says the avoir is valid for a year but it says 6 months on the ticket, they don't seem to have a clue, it looks as if I will have to buy a pallet of their expensive firewood to gat rid of the credit note

MAD87

Bricomarche yet again

#2 Post by MAD87 »

They're obliged by law to give you a refund (cf. le Code civil), whether they like it or not, especially if the product (and/or) its instructions) are unfit for purpose. French retailers don't like their own laws.

Hotrodder

Bricomarche yet again

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

hughnique

Bricomarche yet again

#4 Post by hughnique »

I went back in the store yesterday to use a bit off the avoir and there with another on is my returned intercom, just been put back on the table for resale, so it is pretty obvious, once in the box that it has been used, what happens when that one is returned again, another credit note I suspect. They are really dodgy buggers.

Hotrodder

Bricomarche yet again

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

I had the same experience in Carrefour. Bought a computer graphic card. What was in the box was not what was displayed on the outside. A different device entirely, and it didn't work. I took it back. They wouldn't refund my money but gave me a credit slip. About 15 minutes later I saw the box had been put back on the shelf.

French retail has a long way to go to catch up with the modern world.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Bricomarche yet again

#6 Post by niemeyjt »

See the Amazon thread!

Another advantage of Amazon would seem to be the absence of dodgy French retail practices.

Blaze

Bricomarche yet again

#7 Post by Blaze »

MAD87 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:31 am They're obliged by law to give you a refund (cf. le Code civil), whether they like it or not, especially if the product (and/or) its instructions) are unfit for purpose. French retailers don't like their own laws.
I didn't know that - thanks, Mad. Years ago I bought a big tile cutter from Bricomarché - the arm snapped almost the first time I used it. I took it back, with the till receipt, and said I wanted a refund. They refused and said I could take another one from the shelf, I said loudly, in front of other customers, that I didn't want a replacement as it might be the same poor quality. They grudgingly gave me a refund, probably to shut me up (I was unaware of their obligation at the time).

MAD87

Bricomarche yet again

#8 Post by MAD87 »

The famous Article 1641, Code civil on vices cachés (latent defects) and other nearby articles dealing with generally defective stuff.
The other gem retailers keep quiet about is the legal guarantee of 2 years, nothing to do with the seller although they often claim it for their own.
While I think about it, a retailer will try to sell you the idea that its T&Cs absolve it from liability: they don't, the law takes precedence.

Blaze

Bricomarche yet again

#9 Post by Blaze »

MAD87 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:51 am The other gem retailers keep quiet about is the legal guarantee of 2 years
Ah yes, we've come across that ! They'll tell you that the product is guaranteed for 1 year and hrumpf when we say actually it's 2 years.

leclairon

Bricomarche yet again

#10 Post by leclairon »

OH bought a garden sprayer from one of the big garden-type shops. After trying to put it together (and he is good), it was obvious there was a piece missing from the box. He took it back and was prepared to take another off the shelf, but there wasn't one the same so he asked for a refund. Like you, the reply was absolutely no refunds but an 'avoir'. Thank goodness I wasn't with him - my French is good and I hate conflict so would have taken the avoir. He stood his ground at the till with his franglais. He made it clear he wasn't moving until he got a refund as the product was clearly faulty - a piece missing. He said if he didn't get a refund, he was prepared to call the gendarmes. By this time, there were about 10 people hissing in the queue. He got his refund and he 'thinks' their parting words were something along the lines of 'don't come back again'. No fear of that. Shooting themselves in the foot as we have warned off others. When we do come across pleasant customer service, in such circumstances, we feel as if we have won the lotto!