Electric fence phenomena

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Polarengineer

Electric fence phenomena

#1 Post by Polarengineer »

A problem appeared with my electric fence system. It is a mains powered energiser which sometimes pulses every 10 seconds. When this happens, I fetch my toolbox and return to the unit to find it working correctly by pulsing every second. This has happened three times so far and when I see it working properly I apply the wise words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well I know it ain't well but it does work when I am looking at it, but may not be when I leave the area.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or knows what could be causing it.

Nomoss

Electric fence phenomena

#2 Post by Nomoss »

I'd watch it carefully if I were you.

tagh

Electric fence phenomena

#3 Post by tagh »

This problem is caused by the heavy footed pigeon alighting on the fence!

RobertArthur

Electric fence phenomena

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

@Polarengineer, piquet de terre and associated wiring OK? Does the fence return from these 10 s interval periods back to the rather fast 1 s interval on autopilot? Only a temporary hick up? No temporary shorts to earth in the lowest fench wires, vegetation, branches? Is it possible to change the pulse rate to 2 or 3 s and see what happens? In case of emergency read this.

Polarengineer

Electric fence phenomena

#5 Post by Polarengineer »

Nomoss wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:46 pm I'd watch it carefully if I were you.
Ha Ha
tagh wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:04 pm This problem is caused by the heavy footed pigeon alighting on the fence!
would that be one with the metal prosthetic leg?
RA, there is no variable setting to the timer.
All lines have been cleared with a weedwhacker
Yes it is temporary and not predictable
The sanglier are watching with interest.
Changes pulse timing at random

Blaze

Electric fence phenomena

#6 Post by Blaze »

Strange .... we never had a problem with ours (also mains powered).

L Austin France

Electric fence phenomena

#7 Post by L Austin France »

Out of interest I've just checked our 'leccy fence m/c.
23-24 pulses / 30 secs with no difference if I disconnect the outgoing wire to the earth rod in the barn.
Earth rod has a piece of pipe buried alongside it to pour water down to increase ground conductivity which I hadn't done for yonks. Pretty sure the fence voltage stepped up after 'watering' just now but can't be sure 'cos Mme started talking to me & I forgot the original voltages. :oops:
I've tried a few voltmeters with an earth probe, found them unreliable & a PITA to use, so now use a LACME Digivolt tester which only needs touching on the tape/wire to show kV, amps & direction of current. Not cheap @ about €100 but well worth the money.
Appart from a duff m/c (maybe lightning strike) I've no idea about your problem PE but thought I'd post this anyway :)

RobertArthur

Electric fence phenomena

#8 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Austin France, nice little tester. There is also a low cost version available for 23 €, only voltage. No electric fence here and already too many test instruments, only window shopping this time.

RobertArthur

Electric fence phenomena

#9 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Polarengineer, did you already have a look inside the HV unit? Just to have a look at the usual suspects, electrolytic capacitors. My guess is that there might be other suspects as well, a resistor or capacitor in the timing circuit. I wouldn't be surprised to find the still going strong 555 timer ic somewhere on the pc board. Only a handful of components needed to set pulse-width and frequency.

Quiksilver

Electric fence phenomena

#10 Post by Quiksilver »

Polarengineer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:42 pm A problem appeared with my electric fence system. It is a mains powered energiser which sometimes pulses every 10 seconds. When this happens, I fetch my toolbox and return to the unit to find it working correctly by pulsing every second. This has happened three times so far and when I see it working properly I apply the wise words "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Well I know it ain't well but it does work when I am looking at it, but may not be when I leave the area.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or knows what could be causing it.
No idea, but for what it's worth I had an electricity meter in my student bedsit that slowed down drastically when I approached it. One of the old, revolving wheel type. I spent absolutely hours creeping up on it to check that I wasn't seeing things :D Then spent even more hours camped on a chair in front of it :lol: