Increases in energy prices, again....

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
exile

#41 Post by exile »

FWIW
last year:
electricity €2278
oil (underfloor heating and 4 rads) €3765
Gas (gas hob) €85

But that is over two buildings with a total floor area of around 280sq m. Both stone built but with insulation and plasterboard on the interior. Fairly exposed situation so if cold northerlies blow we lose heat quickly and situated 900+m above sea level winter temperatures are significantly lower than most of you. We also have permanent access in bot buildings for the cats which will also contribute to heat loss.

Everyone's situation is different and I am unsure how translatable one set of numbers is to another.

Char
Site Admin

#42 Post by Char »

exile wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:26 pm Everyone's situation is different and I am unsure how translatable one set of numbers is to another.
I don't think it is really, every house/area is different.
But, I shan't moan so much when the next leccie bill arrives, after seeing what other people pay.

Bayleaf

#43 Post by Bayleaf »

Since creating an Espace Client on our EDF contract, and comparing our usage to similar households, it would seem we're above average. Doesn't help during winter, as our work is seasonal, so we're all at home all day - invariably using electrical items!

But it's making us (three of us) rethink everything - and is a good lesson for our son to realise how much things cost!
Last edited by Bayleaf on Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headers

#44 Post by Headers »

We are spending about 4€ a day on electricity. 2 of us in the house. 300sqm. Wood burner going full time.I reckon to use 12-14 stere a year which is a lot I know.
We have the edf tariff HP HC for half of the house and standard for the other bit that doesn’t get used very much.
We keep the temp at around 21 deg.the house has no DPC and is stone walls so we have taken the view it’s better to keep it heated continually during the winter. We are situated on top of a hill. Very exposed to wind and weather.
All windows double glazed, all lighting led, attic insulated. Solid floors. Downstairs is open plan. Upstairs I can close off half the house when it’s not being used(which is most of the time)
We have 3 hot water cylinders for historical reasons but one is only used when we have visitors.
My bills run about 120pm for elec, 900 pa for wood. I watch the elec usage on the linky.
What really irks me about the elec bill is that we seem to have to pay VAT on some of the environmental taxes.

Quiksilver

#45 Post by Quiksilver »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:55 pm
Quiksilver wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:17 pm The level of abonnement and standing charge is something that was conveniently overlooked by the installation Co when we opted for a 'geothermal' system with a whopping great heat pump. No choice but to have 18kw and 3-phase :shock: All of which makes it far less economical nowadays than was promised initially. On balance, though, for what is virtually electric heating and hot water, it's just about manageable. I've switched from an induction hob to bottled gas, though, and have to be very strict about only using appliances during HC.
I've no idea what system you have or what it's output is but:-
18 kw of direct electricity would heat a 'medium' size, well insulated house without recourse to a heat pump system.
18 kw input to a heat pump at a coefficient of performance (COP) of say 3, ie 3 x 18kw (approx) would heat a large house.
The above figures are rule of thumb & I realise that probably electricity consuming pumps are involved & starting currents may be high but my initial reaction is 18 kw????
That's the rub, LAF, we need the 18kVA (sorry, just checked the terminology :-)) simply to provide the 'oomph' for when the heat pump starts up. I'm sure it is a more economical set-up than direct heating with electricity, though. (There's a gizmo next to the HP for monitoring use, efficiency and cost but that's OH's department, and he's only very recently bothered to try to figure it out). 400m2 of refrigerant gas-filled captor pipes supplying 250m2 of wet underfloor heating and a 200l ballon. The house is largely open plan and was insulated up to the hilt during renovation, double glazing, thick curtains and shutters too, so considering those factors, the bills are reasonable. The only time it gets dicey is during prolonged periods of sub-zero temps (not happened since 2011) when the electricity supply has to take the strain off the heat pump.
What I couldn't live with is the set-up a few local friends have got, where they daren't run the hot tap while cooking, or take a shower when ...etc etc.... They're on the 6kVA tariff. Having the supply trip every ten minutes would drive me crazy! Bigger, infinitely colder houses, too :shock:
+1 @Headers for the tax on taxes! However much we economise, roughly half of the bill is sneaky charges and TVA.

MAD87

#46 Post by MAD87 »

I have no idea what we pay for this house, I know only that the business pays a chunk as we work here.
The first 2 things we did after moving in were to add 30cm to existing insulation in the loft (now 60/70cm) and have thermostatic valves fitted to the rads. The latter work very well and rapidly and even set to around 19°, the house is warm.
115m², stone end of terrace built early 50s.

MAD87

#47 Post by MAD87 »

@Headers
When the dope Hollande was playing at being president, I wrote to his finance minister, Michel Sapin, on this subject - tax on tax, tax on SS contributions, breach of EU law, etc. He wrote back (eventually) pointing out how much the Min of Fin had helped business and would I kindly shut up or go stand in the corner.
It is a whopping breach of EU law, the Commission confirmed that, but France being one of the school prefects does not help the cause.

Hotrodder

#48 Post by Hotrodder »

Ours is an old stone house of 3 rooms totalling just under 100m2. No heating apart from a woodburner in the main room that gets lit late afternoon from October to May. We burn about 5 corde over that period and hardly ever actually feel warm in winter. Cost a bit over €1000, I think we are being short changed on the quantity delivered but nothing can be done about it. There are only three windows in the place and I have replaced them with double glazed ones, but they face east so no free heat produced from the sun.
EDF bill is just under €1000 a year. I'm slowly dry lining the interior walls and insulating as the cash becomes available. Not really feeling much difference yet but I'm hopeful it is worth the blood, sweat, and cash outlay. One bit of wall downstairs will be left unlined because the roof leaks and the water runs down there. I don't want to trap the water behind the plasterboard to cause mould. The help we got this year from the government for the electricity bill is very welcome, after being screwed out of the old Winter Fuel Allowance by the Conservative fraudsters that run the UK.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

manonthemoon2

#49 Post by manonthemoon2 »

manonthemoon2 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:31 pm Our EDF bill for two months is nearly 600€, brings a tear to my eye. We are all electric.

How do I check our consumption on a daily basis with a linky?
I checked last year's bill to find it was more last year so a tiny bit happier

Spectrum

#50 Post by Spectrum »

As an alternative, we have a new bungalow its only 100m2 PAC UFH "Wet," house kept at 23*C, two three meter wide patio doors in the lounge one facing East and the other West, so solar gain in the morning, the house is all electric, but the hob does have a gas wok burner, 12K of power if needed, costs 155€ per month, but will feel better when we put a wood burner in just in case.