Increases in energy prices, again....

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
exile

#61 Post by exile »

Especially if they live in a high rise that was clad and now has no external insulation. What a nightmare.

Hotrodder

#62 Post by Hotrodder »

Mangetout wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:21 pm Can't anyone help you cut it down and fit it? Seems such a waste.
Precious few friends here and no neighbours. And what friends we have here are in the same age group as us and not professional weight lifters. They guy I bought the door from is younger and built like a tank and even he struggled to drag it indoors for me. The one person I might have called on just to help move it is coming over from UK in a few weeks and has promised to help me get some plasterboard onto my trailer at the Brico, and to offload it here to get it inside. I can't ask him to do this as well. He's built like an accountant, not a hod carrier.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

#63 Post by Hotrodder »

Quiksilver wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:41 pm
Hotrodder wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:33 pm Our old front door is in pretty bad shape and there is no frame at the bottom. The concrete dips in the middle making it the last entry point for biting cold draughts. I did a mad thing and bought a door from a friend for €80. New one, costing over €1000 with a nice double glazed panel in the top half. Very heavy and about 4 inches too tall. I figured I would have it and just cut the excess 4 inches off the bottom. It remains propped up against the sitting room wall. I can't lift it to do anything with it. Still. It's a conversation piece.
You don't need to lift it! Rope OH in to help you tilt it onto it's side, cut down and then it will weigh less so she can help you to hang it :D Woman power! :lol:
I do understand the power of a "determined woman" but if I injure this one there won't be a replacement coming anytime soon. She's a keeper and I've promised to look after her.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Wilbro

#64 Post by Wilbro »

We have an insert and oil fired central heating. The price of oil is horrendous and will only get worse so will be ordering extra wood next year and reducing the CH usage. Hot air is vented into the ain two bedrooms so the house will be comfortable although visits to the bathroom will be kept short!

Headers

#65 Post by Headers »

Wilbro wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:46 pm We have an insert and oil fired central heating. The price of oil is horrendous and will only get worse so will be ordering extra wood next year and reducing the CH usage. Hot air is vented into the ain two bedrooms so the house will be comfortable although visits to the bathroom will be kept short!
If you have room and spare cash, buy your wood now as I am pretty sure prices will rise steeply for wood this summer!

Wilbro

#66 Post by Wilbro »

Ours won't. We have a local suppliers who serves the hamlet and who won't be driven by market forces. As a friend of most of his customers it's highly unlikely, we live in a hamlet in a very rural area and don't need the big suppliers who put prices up a few years ago.
Plus we have quite a lot of our own trees that can be felled and cut up. Another local chap, 250 euro for a day's work and three or four trees felled and sectioned for me to split.

Hotrodder

#67 Post by Hotrodder »

I brought down part of a large hazel yesterday. Too soon really but I need to get some prepped and drying out for the future.
Damned hard work and more than a little dangerous but at least some of us have trees to cut even if it is just additional to our needs.

Quiksilver

#68 Post by Quiksilver »

Wilbro wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:24 am Ours won't. We have a local suppliers who serves the hamlet and who won't be driven by market forces. As a friend of most of his customers it's highly unlikely, we live in a hamlet in a very rural area and don't need the big suppliers who put prices up a few years ago.
Plus we have quite a lot of our own trees that can be felled and cut up. Another local chap, 250 euro for a day's work and three or four trees felled and sectioned for me to split.
As Hotrodder mentioned, wood provision is a medium-term project. At least, if our neighbour's activity is anything to go by. They work on a three-year plan of cut, leave in situ for a year, then chop up and stack. In year 2 the wood is split and stacked again. Used in year three. We watched them doing all this before we moved over, which is why we opted for geothermal . That and the lack of foresight in buying a wood :lol:

hughnique

#69 Post by hughnique »

Just received the latest EDF bill €943, absolutely crippling, still got to be paid, there is a leaflet in there as well telling me, I think, that the 4% cap is a load of false information, so looks like that is another smoke screen. Bit dependent on leccy as we do not have gas or oil, got the wood burner but that in itself is a faff, dragging that wood that has had to be stacked in the barn, most of it after having the log splitter treatment, just find it strenuous in the past couple of years, and the wood burner is not that controllable like an electric rad. We did have a fan thing to distribute warm air but when that started up it was like sitting on the runway at Gatwick. I keep looking at all these offers for heat pumps etc but I am sure most of them are a con.

Hotrodder

#70 Post by Hotrodder »

And all of the are expensive options that come with lots of caveats about insulation and running costs (more electricity).