Best paint for volets

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
Headers

Best paint for volets

#1 Post by Headers »

We are slogging our way through repainting our volets.
The last tin of oil based paint will just about finish off the volets we had made in 3 ply (arched and big)
Then it’s onto the standard ones which are all hardwood.
All paint applied with rollers.
We realise oil based is no more and we have started researching the best replacement.
The current paint Farrow and Ball oil based,has lasted 9 years.
Tollens seem to come out well in reviews. We need an olive green to match what we’ve already done (or thereabouts). We won’t start the next lot until next spring.
Any ideas please?

p4psb

Best paint for volets

#2 Post by p4psb »

I used this last year, really good: https://peinture-discount.com/collectio ... s-bardages
Not sure about your colour though.

Spectrum

Best paint for volets

#3 Post by Spectrum »

If you can afford "Farrow and Ball" :o then replace the shutters with aluminium ones :o :D :D

Hotrodder

Best paint for volets

#4 Post by Hotrodder »

Are oil-based paints being phased out? If so that explains why I have been having trouble finding anything decent.
My experience so far using water based stuff is not very good. It dries too quickly and doesn't flow well from the new nasty plastic bristle brushes. It seems to sit on the surface waiting to chip off rather than penetrate and nourish the wood like the old fashioned stuff.

Feeling better about the huge stash of part used tins of oil-based paints I have in the shed. :D
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Best paint for volets

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

Anyone tried linseed oil paint?

exile

Best paint for volets

#6 Post by exile »

Yes oil based paints are being phased out for all but professional users (and I think their choices are becoming more restricted).

All part of reducing VOC emissions (VOC = Volatile Organic Compounds) which are largely bad for the environment and often the user.

niemeyjt

Best paint for volets

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

But Linseed Oil does not count as a VOC, I think? Mind you, it looks similar prices to F&B.

Sparkle

Best paint for volets

#8 Post by Sparkle »

We found that Little Greene was much better than Farrow & Ball on our front door which gets the heat from lunchtime on so it takes a battering. Also be aware that some of the french paints for exteriers look great but can peel off quickly in the heat if the item isn't squeaky clean and the peeling looks like sticky backed plastic!. We buy our Little Greene paint from this company - can't fault them for speed & delivery.

https://www.papierspeintsdirect.com
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

RobertArthur

Best paint for volets

#9 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Headers, oil paint (white spirit) is still available everywhere in the EU. There is of course a vivid discussion about other solvents and dangerous chemical additives.

Coldonat

Best paint for volets

#10 Post by Coldonat »

I did ours about 10 years ago with Renaulac (water-based) from Bricodepot. The only preparation I did was to sand off existing loose (brown) paint. Applied the sky blue (one of the approved colours for our area), one coat, with a roller - I avoid using a brush when I apply paint unless it's absolutely necessary - and the exposed sun-facing sides are now starting to flake badly, so that's this autumn's project.

I think, from memory, it was about 75m², and I'm thinking that about half of them will need redoing, some will be inside faces and some outside depending on how often they've been open. We've a big house and not all shutters are open all the time. Too hot to do anything about it at the moment, and autumn is the best time to paint, so I shan't start sanding till September.

Can't complain about the quality of the paint.