Cost of building a new house

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
Char
Site Admin

#1 Post by Char »

I'm hoping one of you knowledgable people will be able to help. :D

Does anyone know if there is a website where you can get a rough idea of how much it would cost to build a small house?

I thought I had a link once upon a time to a site that you could design what you wanted and it would give a rough idea on costing.

Many thanks

exile

#2 Post by exile »

A while ago it was estimated at €1000 - 1500 per metre square. Not sure if that is still a current view.

I have long lost the link so cannot give you the source but maybe a start,

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

Perhaps the easiest thing would be to talk to a local builder (one you could trust). A lot depends on what sort of building you are looking at (bungalow, 2 storeys) and how and with what it's constructed (brick, stone, breeze block, wood ....). Do you want an "eco" type house ?

This site looks interesting : design your house !
https://www.maison-edea.fr/configurateu ... soQAvD_BwE

RobertArthur

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Char, take your time to read this information. There they also mention this € 1500 per square meter. An existing house: what you see is what you get.

MAD87

#5 Post by MAD87 »

One of our children is having a one-roomed extension built on her house (25m²) for 27k (devis from a few months ago since when the war & other economic factors have come into play.
Some folk are using old shipping containers as tiny houses/granny annexes, etc.

rsm

#6 Post by rsm »

Last edited by rsm on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polarengineer

#7 Post by Polarengineer »

Don't forget the costs to connect services, availability of services and potential costs for a fosse etc.

Spectrum

#8 Post by Spectrum »

Best thing to do is buy a few of the construction magazines at you local supermarket, they will have lots of ideas and pictures of different styles of houses, you can work out the rate per SqMt. It will vary to a massive degree from 700€ to unlimited :shock: kitchens are not normally included, best is a "Turn Key" solution but not many will do this. In my experience I feel that we was ripped off by hiring a so called project manager who spoke good English, he employed all his local artisan friends and we had no end of problems, there is still of things which I would have done better :twisted: also I wanted certain things doing and was told that we couldn't do them to find out after completion that we could have had them after all :twisted: We involved an Advocate which costs money 300€ an hour. Its a modem 110Msq bungalow high standard of windows/insulation built out of terracotta blocks, but the price did not include lights/ internal doors/sanitaryware/ multimedia wiring, not even a kitchen sink :roll: no painting but 10000Ltr underground rain collection tank. In our experience if we needed to rebuild again I would do it differently. I dont mean to put you off I guess we was just unlucky with our choice of Maitre d Oeuvre.

Headers

#9 Post by Headers »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:16 am Best thing to do is buy a few of the construction magazines at you local supermarket, they will have lots of ideas and pictures of different styles of houses, you can work out the rate per SqMt. It will vary to a massive degree from 700€ to unlimited :shock: kitchens are not normally included, best is a "Turn Key" solution but not many will do this. In my experience I feel that we was ripped off by hiring a so called project manager who spoke good English, he employed all his local artisan friends and we had no end of problems, there is still of things which I would have done better :twisted: also I wanted certain things doing and was told that we couldn't do them to find out after completion that we could have had them after all :twisted: We involved an Advocate which costs money 300€ an hour. Its a modem 110Msq bungalow high standard of windows/insulation built out of terracotta blocks, but the price did not include lights/ internal doors/sanitaryware/ multimedia wiring, not even a kitchen sink :roll: no painting but 10000Ltr underground rain collection tank. In our experience if we needed to rebuild again I would do it differently. I dont mean to put you off I guess we was just unlucky with our choice of Maitre d Oeuvre.
I completely agree with Spectrum. We employed a project manager who employed certain builders who didn’t deliver. We had an awful time and had to get some work redone. You also have to take into account the cost of assurance and the taxe d’amenagement (there is a post about that today) and if you use an architect/PM their fees can be high. Finishing off inside is always more expensive than you imagine too. Do it but be prepared and have at least 110% of the projected cost available!

Char
Site Admin

#10 Post by Char »

Thanks everyone - tis a lot more complicated than I had thought it would be - we built our garage ourself and thought we could probably do the same with a house but......