Gas bottle connectors - Lyre

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
exile

#11 Post by exile »

There I cannot help since lyre was a new word for me as well as several others.

MAD87

#12 Post by MAD87 »

I've been very much into gas bottle connectionns of late! I use a gas heater for the véranda, but it stopped working suddenly a fortnight ago after hooking it up to a new bottle. Fiddling with the ignition wiring produced no result, so I bought a new fire pending repair of the old (4 yrs) model.
The reducer and hose didn't seem quite right on the new fire, so son and I tried out the old (almost empty) gas bottle with the new fire. Eureka! Started first go.
We took the defective bottle back to U - no argument and the replacement works fine. We suspect they have had other bottles returned.

L Austin France

#13 Post by L Austin France »

MAD87 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:30 am I've been very much into gas bottle connectionns of late! I use a gas heater for the véranda, but it stopped working suddenly a fortnight ago after hooking it up to a new bottle. Fiddling with the ignition wiring produced no result, so I bought a new fire pending repair of the old (4 yrs) model.
The reducer and hose didn't seem quite right on the new fire, so son and I tried out the old (almost empty) gas bottle with the new fire. Eureka! Started first go.
We took the defective bottle back to U - no argument and the replacement works fine. We suspect they have had other bottles returned.
A lot/most/all? bottles have a ballbearing in their valve which slams shut against a seat in the event of a catastrophic failure of the downstream pipework/equipment causing an extraordinary gas flow.
It's alway wise to just crack open the valve after changing a bottle to let this pressure safety device settle before fully opening the valve.
I've had one bottle that refused to 'play' & had to be returned as faulty for exchange when no matter what I did the bottle, although new & full, would not let gas pass.

MAD87

#14 Post by MAD87 »

L Austin France wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:27 pm I've had one bottle that refused to 'play' & had to be returned as faulty for exchange when no matter what I did the bottle, although new & full, would not let gas pass.
Interesting. It 's never happened to us before. In our 2 previous houses, we had to cook via bottled gas - always metal bottles. The ones we buy for the fire are Calypso, supposedly lighter.