How often do you clean your woodie's glass?

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
L Austin France

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Just realised I've not given ours a proper clean since I first lit it in early November.
It's used every day from about 1500 hrs for about 8hrs & all the glass
gets is a quick wipe over with a bit of kitchen paper which is then dipped in petrole to light the fire.
The glass is a bit mucky around the edges but that's as bad as it gets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DominicBest

#2 Post by DominicBest »

My Jøtul woodburner is like that. I don’t miss the old days when I was cleaning the glass on my old poele virtually every day. It also needs the ash clearing out much less than the old one, it obviously burns more of the wood too.

Lori

#3 Post by Lori »

I clean the glass every day. I do it at the same time I empty the ashes and put in the wood / starter for the day's fire. I like it to be clean so we can enjoy the ambiance of the flames.

Headers

#4 Post by Headers »

Three or four times a season when it is mucky. Jotul 600

DominicBest

#5 Post by DominicBest »

Lori wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:39 pm I clean the glass every day. I do it at the same time I empty the ashes and put in the wood / starter for the day's fire. I like it to be clean so we can enjoy the ambiance of the flames.
The only reason I don’t clean the glass every day is because it doesn’t need cleaning. 🙂

suein56

#6 Post by suein56 »

Like LAF I use a (small) piece of dry kitchen roll to wipe over the glass of our insert most days. Occasionally I will dampen the paper slightly but that's it. OH uses a product 2 or 3 times in the winter and it removes the v small amount of brown deposit which accumulates at the bottom of the glass.

ajm

#7 Post by ajm »

A damp cloth dipprd in the ash works well.

Wilbro

#8 Post by Wilbro »

Every 2 or 3 days. It is easily cleaned with newspaper day 2 and day 3 sometimes but then it needs cleaning. Like Lori, the ambiance and the flames are worth it. Cleaning only takes a couple of minutes anyway.

Hotrodder

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Daily, like Lori it has to be done because it is usually totally black. In fact after an hour or two after lighting it needs a quick wipe with a dry paper towel or it is so sooted up you can't see the flames. The morning clean requires a healthy squirt of the liquid cleaner sold for the purpose. Needless to say, its not a Jotul. Its an Invicta insert type with an automatic fan assist to help circulate the hot air.
Last edited by Hotrodder on Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

#10 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:31 pm Daily, like Lori it has to be done because it is usually totally black. In fact after an hour or two it needs a quick wipe with a dry paper towel or it is so sooted up you can't see the flames. The morning clean requires a healthy squirt of the liquid cleaner sold for the purpose. Needless to say, its not a Jotul. Its an Invicta insert type with an automatic fan assist to help circulate the hot air.
Something wrong there. :o