Another water tank has failed

French Plumbing - 'how to', supplies & regulations; Heating - options & installation; Septic tanks - regulations & installation
Nomoss

#11 Post by Nomoss »

Our chauffe-eau stéatite element failed just before Christmas. The unit was there when we bought the house, so is well over 12 years old, and the element was not readily available.
I needed to get hot water back asap, so rather than traipse around the plumbing shops in town waving the old element, I went to Brico Depot and bought a complete 12 litre unit and the necessary GdS and fittings, which was fairly easily connected in parallel with the existing tank. I decided that this will be useful in future to provide hot water when returning from holidays etc., as it heats up in less than 30 minutes, and probably cost less than calling in a plumber.
On reading the instruction manual, which I had printed out from the Ariston website some time ago, but not read, I saw that they recommend draining the tank for cleaning and inspecting the sacrificial magnesium anode every year, so decided to do this, as there was a very slight water leak from the gasket.
I found the anode about 3/4 used up and a lot of crud, presumably from the anode, at the bottom, but the enamel interior was in excellent condition. I measured the element and the anode, ordered them by size, and a new gasket, from this company https://www.adepem.com/, and received them in three days.
I have decided to drain and inspect the interior of both units every 2 years (during warmer weather!) as our water is fairly soft. I don't need to keep spare parts, as we can manage for a couple of days with the small heater.

Headers

#12 Post by Headers »

One of my insurers nominated plumbers is coming out this evening to do a devis. We suspect our backup w/h 10 years old isn’t functioning at top efficiency so we will get him to look at that as well. Oh dear.
I did have a look at the FB page for plumber and yes there are a couple of highly recommended ones but they are way up in the Dordogne so I’m taking a bit of a chance with this company as they aren’t a one man band.

Headers

#13 Post by Headers »

The plumber came on time Monday evening, did the devis and said they would come on Tuesday afternoon.
Tuesday morning I got a call to say they were coming on Tuesday morning! They did, a plumber and an apprentice. Very happy with the work they did. They actually did 2 hot water tanks for us and were there all day. Big bill but OH is happy. Our previous plumber had unknown to us bodged a repair job on the smaller tank and permanently damaged it so we decided to change that. Hoping these two last ten years - we won’t be here by then!

L Austin France

#14 Post by L Austin France »

That's good but did the 'experts' give you any clue as to why the big 'un had failed?

Headers

#15 Post by Headers »

The big one had split

Pachapapa

#16 Post by Pachapapa »

Sounds like a dodgy "groupe de sécurité.

Spardo

#17 Post by Spardo »

Our favourite plumber died several years ago and the next favourite then abandonned us without explanation, so I called into the shop of another in the village on Tuesday and she guessed a visit 'dans la soiree'. Today is Sunday and still no visit, or call (they have my mobile number), so I'll call in again tomorrow. Very frustrating having to be in as often as possible.
Still waiting, the word in the shop on Tuesday when I said 'still waiting' was 'really?', followed by a shuffling of papers and a muttered 'soiree'.
Today is the 8th working day after I was promised an evening visit, one more day and I will go into the newly opened shop of yet another plumber. Not confident of a result though.

Headers

#18 Post by Headers »

Pachapapa wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 am Sounds like a dodgy "groupe de sécurité.
The gds was fine.