Second home owner and registering a car in France

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Liz

#1 Post by Liz »

Old friends of mine who have second homes have had cars here for years, but I vaguely recalll that I read somewhere that now it is impossible for a non-resident to legally register a car in their name in France. Probably due to the ANTS system :roll:
I shall have to look into it all later as I have been asked for the answer, but do any of have up to date knowledge, please?
Thanks in advance
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

niemeyjt

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

When I inherited my father's car in 2019 (so post ANTS) I was able to put it into my name - despite not being tax resident in France and not having French-issued ID - I just had an address. So I guess the same applies to your friends.

I am about the repeat the performance - so will let you know of any issues.

hughnique

#3 Post by hughnique »

There is a Facebook group, Registering a car in France, which seem to have all the answers to these types of enquiries.

Liz

#4 Post by Liz »

Thanks
I have meanwhile checked out the official side of things and found a couple of recent articles in English (the prospective buyers are Aussies) and it seems OK to do it

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article ... econd-home

https://www.eplaque.fr/en/buy-a-car-in-france

The proof of address can be the electricity bill or house insurance, or recent 'titre de propriété' - certificate of ownership, which can be got FOC by asking the Notaire for an Attestation.
The name of the person on the bill/paperwork must tie in with the name on the passport and the name of the person who is registering the car, so Mrs can't use the elec bill if it is in Mr's name

I also advised them to pay a garage to do the registration as they would find ANTS hard. And not to be tempted to buy a UK registered car, often offered for sale much cheaper, as they would have to do the whole re-registration process which it costs a lot of money and is an awful lot of hassle (whatever the seller may say)!
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

ajm

#5 Post by ajm »

Liz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:39 am Thanks
I have meanwhile checked out the official side of things and found a couple of recent articles in English (the prospective buyers are Aussies) and it seems OK to do it

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article ... econd-home

https://www.eplaque.fr/en/buy-a-car-in-france

The proof of address can be the electricity bill or house insurance, or recent 'titre de propriété' - certificate of ownership, which can be got FOC by asking the Notaire for an Attestation.
The name of the person on the bill/paperwork must tie in with the name on the passport and the name of the person who is registering the car, so Mrs can't use the elec bill if it is in Mr's name

I also advised them to pay a garage to do the registration as they would find ANTS hard. And not to be tempted to buy a UK registered car, often offered for sale much cheaper, as they would have to do the whole re-registration process which it costs a lot of money and is an awful lot of hassle (whatever the seller may say)!
We changed our electricity account to joint names when Mrs needed an attestation

p4psb

#6 Post by p4psb »

I did not think you could register a car in France unless you were resident.

Headers

#7 Post by Headers »

When you register a car you are on your Honour that you are conforming with the law.
In the event of an incident, insurance may be null and void.

Char
Site Admin

#8 Post by Char »

Liz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:15 am Old friends of mine who have second homes have had cars here for years, but I vaguely recalll that I read somewhere that now it is impossible for a non-resident to legally register a car in their name in France. Probably due to the ANTS system :roll:
I shall have to look into it all later as I have been asked for the answer, but do any of have up to date knowledge, please?
Thanks in advance
You can copied from the ANTS site
“Je vis à l’étranger. Je voudrais immatriculer un véhicule et le laisser en France pour mes vacances. Quel justificatif de domicile fournir ?”
Conformément aux dispositions du code de la route (article R322-1), tout propriétaire d’un véhicule qui souhaite le faire circuler sur la voie publique en France, doit adresser une demande d’immatriculation au préfet du département de son choix en justifiant de son identité et de son domicile en France.
Vous devez, par conséquent, justifier d’un domicile ou élire domicile chez un tiers.

Dans cette dernière situation, la réalité de la résidence du demandeur au domicile de l’hébergeant doit être avérée par un document officiel (feuille d’imposition, carte de sécurité sociale, titre d’allocations familiales, document du Pôle emploi…).

En dehors de ces cas, l’immatriculation de votre véhicule ne pourra être effectuée
Liz wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:39 am I also advised them to pay a garage to do the registration as they would find ANTS hard.
Good idea.

Probably not a good idea to seek info on FB

exile

#9 Post by exile »

p4psb wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:56 am I did not think you could register a car in France unless you were resident.
I think you may be confused with the rule that is a bit like the opposite of what you have written: viz
That you cannot drive a car that you own in your country of residence if it has a foreign registration - with some dispensations depending on the country involved.

p4psb

#10 Post by p4psb »

If you take this (l'adresse du domicile principal du titulaire) page as gospel then it may well be not legal: https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... its/F16536