This isn't distracting, is it.

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
exile

#11 Post by exile »

The fighter pilot analogy is a good one - 18 months training to fly and get used to the heads up display.

Polarengineer

#12 Post by Polarengineer »

Pilots rarely need to watch out for road signs and children running out into the road, so not a good analogy, I think.
HUDs should have been installed in cars long before satnavs and other gadgets, the brain gets used to such things easily allowing speed checks almost subconsiously without distracting from the road. If I am not mistaken, some cars already have this as a reflection from the digital speedo.

Bayleaf

#13 Post by Bayleaf »

Apparently something like this already exists. A GPS gizmo stuck to the dashboard beams up certain warnings onto the windscreen so that the driver doesn't have to look down to the normal GPS screen.

Spectrum

#14 Post by Spectrum »

I think its a good idea, as said its not new technology, its just another driver aid, I think its already available on Audi or BMW.

DominicBest

#15 Post by DominicBest »

Polarengineer wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:42 am Pilots rarely need to watch out for road signs and children running out into the road, so not a good analogy, I think.
HUDs should have been installed in cars long before satnavs and other gadgets, the brain gets used to such things easily allowing speed checks almost subconsiously without distracting from the road. If I am not mistaken, some cars already have this as a reflection from the digital speedo.
The second part of your post makes the first point make no sense. With a HUD it’s not either/or, you can see your speed and the hedgehog at the same time. On my previous motorcycle the GPS was positioned so it was very much in my line of sight and it was very easy to keep an eye on your speed without taking you eyes off the road.