Electric Cars - fire risks

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Hotrodder

#51 Post by Hotrodder »

RobertArthur wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:55 am Hotrodder, sorry to hear that you don't like those simple and reliable toggle switches, I've got loads of them. To be used one day, but when... I saw a market opportunity.

There is no disputing about taste, let's turn to scientific studies adding other elements to the ongong discussions. This time the pollution from tires. Quote: << Tires release 100 times the amount of volatile organic compounds as a modern tailpipe, says an analyst. >>
I am actually a big fan of the humble toggle switch, just not on a modern (or retro) car. I have several in my leccy kit and get a warm feeling when an occasion comes to use one. Apart from their reliability a big plus for me is that you can fit one after drilling a simple round hole in a panel. The chore of cutting a rectancular hole is a once experienced/never to be repeated experience.
Another point..... I thought safety regs for new vehicle construction had put a stop to such sharp projections inside a car.

Re: Pollution from tyres Does it not follow that a heavier car (due to the weight of batteries) will scrub off more tyre pollutants than equivalent mileage done in a conventional car.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

#52 Post by RobertArthur »

Weight and the almost instant torque - burning rubber - do matter.

Bayleaf

#53 Post by Bayleaf »

Aside from a fire risk - my new electric car won't stop! Nightmare story ....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-67005620

RobertArthur

#54 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Bayleaf, there have been also accidents like this with non-electric cars in the past, August 2009. Toyota and law suits in California. And not only the Lexus, also other models.

Spectrum

#55 Post by Spectrum »

Just been reading an article that Tyre manufactures are now producing tyres specifically for EV cars, less derogation, = less pollution, only tested on Teslas yet put more sizes in 2024.

Bayleaf

#56 Post by Bayleaf »

Let's hope this wasn't the result of an electric car battery going puff.....

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bed ... s-67073446

"Luton Airport flights suspended after large car park fire"

niemeyjt

#57 Post by niemeyjt »

That went through my mind too.

They are also having to alter driving licence categories in the UK as the current 3.5t limit on a post-1997 licence is insufficient for the battery-powered delivery vans. The proposal is raising the limit to 4.25t. I wonder whether this will include tachograph/governors and speed limit law changes as well.

Blaze

#58 Post by Blaze »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 am Just been reading an article that Tyre manufactures are now producing tyres specifically for EV cars, less derogation, = less pollution, only tested on Teslas yet put more sizes in 2024.
The practices of tyre manufacturers are scandalous. OH was unable to avoid a parpaing that was in the road and burst the sidewall of a nearly new tyre. Surprise, surprise, the manufacturers no longer make exactly the same tyre so we have to buy two new tyres 😡

niemeyjt

#59 Post by niemeyjt »

Blaze wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:44 amThe practices of tyre manufacturers are scandalous. OH was unable to avoid a parpaing that was in the road and burst the sidewall of a nearly new tyre. Surprise, surprise, the manufacturers no longer make exactly the same tyre so we have to buy two new tyres 😡
That is down to French Law - not the tyre manufacturers - a law, I suspect, that was intended to stop a mix of radial and cross-ply tyres that was just badly drafted.

DominicBest

#60 Post by DominicBest »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:29 am Just been reading an article that Tyre manufactures are now producing tyres specifically for EV cars, less derogation, = less pollution, only tested on Teslas yet put more sizes in 2024.
Surely they’ve always sold tyres specifically designed for EVs.