Passing the Code de la Route test(s)

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Lori

#21 Post by Lori »

You don't have to pay a fortune. I took the written test for 30€ at La Poste. All studying just came from an online site - 17€ for a year membership - all the tests you could possibly take.

Then, you are required to take around 5 hours of practical driving lessons prior to taking the final driving test. That should run about 50€ per hour. So, it isn't as bad as a first time driver, cost wise.

Bayleaf

#22 Post by Bayleaf »

Well done Lori! Knowing how La Code works, that's a great achievement!

Word of advice for the practical - depending on your Instructor, don't always expect their methods to be logical! They tend to go overboard with some aspects, which you may never use in real life again but will be expected to do for a test. :crazy:

Lori

#23 Post by Lori »

Thanks Bayleaf. I do expect that for the practical. Like opening the driver's door with your RIGHT hand. I mean really, who does that in real life ? And never forget to downshift when approaching a stop sign/light or any other slow down. Keep the rear bumper/wheels of the car in front of you in view when stopping behind them. Adjust your seat, dossier and rear & side view mirrors (in that order) before starting the car. Don't forget to adjust your head rest. Make sure everyone has their seat belt on before driving off. The list goes on and on and on and on...

Doug

#24 Post by Doug »

Having driven vehicules for over 65 years I certainly don't think that I'd pass a French driving test, nor brit for that now, I went through the institute of advanced driving test many years ago which taught me so much and different to that needed to pass the then normal driving test.
The police instructor said when starting " now forget all you needed to get a licence as we are going to teach you to really drive properly and safely"

Blaze

#25 Post by Blaze »

Doug wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 am I went through the institute of advanced driving test many years ago
Me too, Doug. Back then, once you'd paid your IAM membership, the "mentoring" was free and once you passed your test, you "mentored" someone else. It's very satisfying and a nice way of passing on skills. I don't know if that's the way they do it today.
I've been tested (and passed) on various vehicles, including HGV, and you learn a lot from driving different vehicles that you wouldn't necessary learn or consider otherwise.

I'm not sure I'd pass a French driving test today either ....

Hotrodder

#26 Post by Hotrodder »

Good point. I have always believed that people need to have at least some experience using a motorcycle and HGV as well as a car to understand the limitations of all three in order to share the road safely with all three types.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

#27 Post by Doug »

Blaze wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:45 am
Doug wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:00 am I went through the institute of advanced driving test many years ago
Me too, Doug. Back then, once you'd paid your IAM membership, the "mentoring" was free and once you passed your test, you "mentored" someone else. It's very satisfying and a nice way of passing on skills. I don't know if that's the way they do it today.
I've been tested (and passed) on various vehicles, including HGV, and you learn a lot from driving different vehicles that you wouldn't necessary learn or consider otherwise.

I'm not sure I'd pass a French driving test today either ....
My first test was on a tractor down a country lane, then a Lambretta, in those days it allowed me to ride any motobike no matter what cc, last was a car having learnt with an old Landrover many years before.
My how time passes.