That's that for another two years

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
Spectrum

#11 Post by Spectrum »

Brings back memories, a Citroen I had blew a sparkplug out and buggered up the thread, had to put a "Helicoil" in, but no garage, so did it at the roadside, a big job front grill off, headlights etc off, inboard disks to bypass, a young female police officer walked past did a double look and turned round wrote me up for various offences :evil: another one arrived after she had left I told him where I worked he took my summons and tore them up, "got to look after each other" he said, explained it was the young ladies first day on the job. Having spent most of my life on top of and underneath many different makes and models of car and bikes, I am now in the happy position of swapping cars every four years, I know what I prefer :clap: . I do miss the feel of "Swarfega" :?

Polarengineer

#12 Post by Polarengineer »

RA’s photo of the roadside work is very true today except it’s some shite tea leaf nicking all the parts.

DominicBest

#13 Post by DominicBest »

Spectrum wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:54 am I do miss the feel of "Swarfega" :?
I use Lidl’s best hand cleaner from time to time but never after doing what needs doing to my two newer cars. Checking the oil and changing the occasional bulb is hardly dirty work. I enjoy maintaining my VdC and my hands are never as difficult as they are after greasing is multitude of grease points then washing my hands using Lidls best. The mixture of grease and the lanolin in the hand cleaner works wonders. The other mucky jobs I do from time to time are cleaning and adjusting motorcycle chains and servicing the lawnmowers.
Last edited by DominicBest on Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hotrodder

#14 Post by Hotrodder »

I don't know what a VdC is but if its more than a few decades older than the current computers on wheels there will be a lot more room in the engine bay to wield a spanner. Sheer bliss.
I never got on with the classic Swarfega. It sucked all the natural oils out of my skin as well as the mucky car secretions. Just had to suffer it until someone discovered that citrus oil laced with a bit of finely ground pumice worked just as well and is much kinder to the skin. Sold under various brand names I highly recommend it.
Last edited by Hotrodder on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Hotrodder

#15 Post by Hotrodder »

It has been an expensive couple of months. Starting with about €200 worth of parts to renew the front brakes on OH's estate. Then fresh exhausts for both our vehicles (about €450), my van is finally getting a new battery (€90). I can't complain. The old one was about 5 years old when I installed it but is now so weak that even fully charged it doesn't spin the motor fast enough to start it, new gps ordered (€125), fosse was emptied today (€295), and the taxe fonciere has just sucked some cash out of my account. :roll: What bl**dy next...........
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

DominicBest

#16 Post by DominicBest »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:06 pm I don't know what a VdC is but if its more than a few decades older than the current computers on wheels there will be a lot more room in the engine bay to wield a spanner. Sheer bliss.
I never got on with the classic Swarfega. It sucked all the natural oils out of my skin as well as the mucky car secretions. Just had to suffer it until someone discovered that citrus oil laced with a bit of finely ground pumice worked just as well and is much kinder to the skin. Sold under various brands name I highly recommend it.
VdC is shorthand for véhicule de collection. You know exactly what my VdC is, back in the day you would have ripped out the four banger and slipped in a V8. 🙂

RobertArthur

#17 Post by RobertArthur »

Not a VdC, my new Outlander (2010). After 104,000km earlier this year two new front brake discs and pads, front tyres, last year a new Varta battery replacing a disappointing Lucas and left front a new wheel speed sensor to get my ABS function back. New tools: Launch OBD2 reader. Together about € 900.

Hotrodder

#18 Post by Hotrodder »

DominicBest wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:47 pm
Hotrodder wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:06 pm I don't know what a VdC is but if its more than a few decades older than the current computers on wheels there will be a lot more room in the engine bay to wield a spanner. Sheer bliss.
I never got on with the classic Swarfega. It sucked all the natural oils out of my skin as well as the mucky car secretions. Just had to suffer it until someone discovered that citrus oil laced with a bit of finely ground pumice worked just as well and is much kinder to the skin. Sold under various brands name I highly recommend it.
VdC is shorthand for véhicule de collection. You know exactly what my VdC is, back in the day you would have ripped out the four banger and slipped in a V8. 🙂
If yours is the "A" Sport Coupe/Cabriolet I take your point. But my '29 already had a flathead v8 in it when purchased. All my other model A adventures had original 4-pots. Quite enough for rod brakes and iffy steering. Still waiting for a lottery win so I can go back to my early Ford roots.
32 Roadster.jpg
The '32 above came a few years later, also with a 1940 flathead + 3 twin chokes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.