New rules for motos?

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
manonthemoon2

New rules for motos?

#1 Post by manonthemoon2 »

I've been informed by our insurance company that from next month it's compulsory to have a CT for a bike.

Have I got it right, that for my husband's 1988 Goldwing, considered a "classic" I believe he will also need a CT?

It still has it's English registration as the process last year was too complicated to immatriculate to France, however, so it's been stored and not used but this job is on the list to achieve.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... DPublic.fr

Help! Not another complication

Hotrodder

New rules for motos?

#2 Post by Hotrodder »

I heard this was coming. Maybe not a bad thing regarding safety issues but I can see it being an opportunity to kill off custom modifications. :(
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Doug

New rules for motos?

#3 Post by Doug »

About time too.
Stop all of those young idiots tampering with bike exhausts and tearing about deafening people for a start.

Bayleaf

New rules for motos?

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

It's going to be interesting. As pointed out somewhere else, test centres aren't prepared or equiped to CT bikes yet .....

hughnique

New rules for motos?

#5 Post by hughnique »

So drifting a bit does this have any sort of connection with this new scheme that as from the 1st April the Gendarmerie has access to DVLA files, and there are somewhat severe penalties for car drivers, does this extend to 2 wheels as well.

DominicBest

New rules for motos?

#6 Post by DominicBest »

The CT is being phased in. I have one bike that needs to get a CT before the end of the year as do all motorcycles first registered before 2017 or something like that. I’m not even sure that there are any test centres for motorcycles in place yet.
The new requirement will be a huge problem for many people with custom bikes but no problem for the majority as most motorcycles tend to be kept in good condition. It won’t be the end of noisy mopeds and the like as their owners might have to replace the standard exhaust for the test but like the world over they’re likely to change it back as soon as they have the CT.

curtis

New rules for motos?

#7 Post by curtis »

I don't know what the rulings will be with regard to modifications. From a car point of view I was concerned about a car that I was about to buy. So I went to the preferred local CT station and showed the chap photos. It was a Fiat Abarth 850TC based on the Fiat 600 from 1966. Different body panels changed suspension, discs all round, radiator at the front and a completely different engine. Wheels and tyres larger. His comment was that it looked great and he was looking forward to seeing it. He wasn't interested if it had been changed. For him, he needed to see that what was there functioned correctly. After that it was between me and the Insurance company. The car was on a CGN.

DominicBest

New rules for motos?

#8 Post by DominicBest »

curtis wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:19 pm I don't know what the rulings will be with regard to modifications. From a car point of view I was concerned about a car that I was about to buy. So I went to the preferred local CT station and showed the chap photos. It was a Fiat Abarth 850TC based on the Fiat 600 from 1966. Different body panels changed suspension, discs all round, radiator at the front and a completely different engine. Wheels and tyres larger. His comment was that it looked great and he was looking forward to seeing it. He wasn't interested if it had been changed. For him, he needed to see that what was there functioned correctly. After that it was between me and the Insurance company. The car was on a CGN.
So it passed its CT with no problems?

DominicBest

New rules for motos?

#9 Post by DominicBest »

manonthemoon2

New rules for motos?

#10 Post by manonthemoon2 »

Does a vintage bike need a carte grise?

OH went to a company who were supposed to get this, but they did say we didn't need one as it's such an old bike.

The Insurance won't re-insure it without one. OH only has it insured for the roads in the summer, hence re insuring now.

The process has been delayed because customs got involved after Brexit, they want a document to say how much it cost and how much VAT was paid, it was a private purchase back in 2002 ish, when purchased in UK