Grand Prix Retro

:oncoming_automobile: Owning a vehicle in France, buying and keeping, Insuring, Driving licence issues, etc.
OTBC

Grand Prix Retro

#1 Post by OTBC »

Went last year, what a fantastic day out!

Free parking. All the food stalls & bars are sorted out by the town, no rip off. A beer was 3 euros, food (lots of options) was around the 6 euro mark.

All the races were very competitive, considering all the bikes/cars were 100 years old!

Definately going this year. Handy for us as it's only half an hour away!

https://grandprixretro-puynotredame.com/

curtis

Grand Prix Retro

#2 Post by curtis »

Looks interesting. Might enter.
Not quite sure where you got the statement that all the cars were 100 years old. That would severely limit the entry !

OTBC

Grand Prix Retro

#3 Post by OTBC »

1924 is 100 years ago. All the 3 wheelers last year were 1920 era, all british.

Look at their site,

Est considéré comme cyclecar tout véhicule automobile à 3 ou 4 roues, à 1 ou 2 places, pesant au plus 350 kilos, et dont le moteur présente une cylindrée inférieure à 1 100 cm3”.

– Définition officielle du cyclecar – 1920 –

curtis

Grand Prix Retro

#4 Post by curtis »

Le dimanche 28 juillet, un “GRAND PRIX“ est organisé sur un parcours fermé en ville (véhicules antérieurs à 1940 – tricycle- cars, cyclecars, vintage, motos – et side-cars de courses antérieurs à 1960).

I thought you meant ALL entrants. (quote considering all the bikes/cars were 100 years old unquote)

Anyway it looks fun. Don't forget to post some pictures, please.

DominicBest

Grand Prix Retro

#5 Post by DominicBest »

I’ve already booked onto the Rallye on the Saturday. I went last year and it was a great weekend. Not all the Morgan three wheelers were British, I spent quite a while talking to a German owner.
There’s a similar event in Bressuire a few weeks before.
407AD24A-39F3-42D4-B0E2-F05D2F70957C.jpeg
A4945D10-1314-4CB5-B06C-3E71F1D16ADC.jpeg
The photos are from Le Puy ND.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OTBC

Grand Prix Retro

#6 Post by OTBC »

Dominic....what are you driving? Any pictures? Just so I can look out for you.

I thought all Morgans were made in the UK from 1910-ish, in Malvern.

Yes, a few of the sidecar entries were post 1920's. That was one of the best races!

We"ll be doing the Sunday (just spectating), it's a good day out.

We run an airb&b & have blocked that weekend so we can go, without running around on the Sunday morning & possibly missing the first race!

But....If anyone on this forum who lives too far away & fancies this event....I might "unblock" the weekend!

Just PM me.

DominicBest

Grand Prix Retro

#7 Post by DominicBest »

You are correct about where Morgans come from but I obviously misunderstood when you said they were all British, I thought you were referring to the owners. My comment about the German owner was a bit tongue in cheek because although the car was German registered and from Germany he was there with his English wife and her English father was there with his Morgan as well. The Morgans were a revelation to me. I had always written them off as being not my sort of thing but after spending time with the owners and looking at the cars I would really quite like to own one. If I could afford one I’d love to buy a modern copy, not the real Morgan but I believe it’s called a Pemberton and is made in Wales. They are powered by a MotoGuzzi V85TT engine and come with either three or four wheels.
I will upload a photo of the car I will have there when my iPad lets me. There’s insufficient memory at the moment. :(
If you’re watching the bikes keep an eye out for Dennis and Christine with their Gilera 500 outfit. Hopefully they will be there. They are a delightful Cockney couple both in their ‘80s who are a real inspiration to those of us who worry that we might be getting too old to carry on enjoying ourselves as though we were teenagers.