Internet British Corner Shop is no more

🛒 Tips and information about French shops, online buying, bargains, product reviews, price comparisons
exile

#31 Post by exile »

Polarengineer wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am I have horseradish growing in the garden if anyone wants a root I would post it to you. you cannot stop it growing and the tiniest root would grow into a feast for your salt beef or salmon. you need to contain the roots, it is a rampant weed.
So have I but it does not do well in our dry summers and very cold winters. We are the exception that proves the rule because as you say even the smallest piece tends to turn into a complete thug in the garden.

Loup-garou

#32 Post by Loup-garou »

Like Exile our several attempts at raising horseradish have failed - even planted it in an old disused compost heap to no avail.

What do people use instead of digestive biscuits as a base for cheesecake?

ajm

#33 Post by ajm »

Loup-garou wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 am Like Exile our several attempts at raising horseradish have failed - even planted it in an old disused compost heap to no avail.

Speculos? Not sure about the spelling

Bayleaf

#34 Post by Bayleaf »

Most French supermarkets sell Digestives - in the French biscuit section, and they're cheaper than most other biscuits in the aisle. Specoloos (sp?!) are cinnamon biccies.

L Austin France

#35 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:00 am Most French supermarkets sell Digestives - in the French biscuit section, and they're cheaper than most other biscuits in the aisle. Specoloos (sp?!) are cinnamon biccies.
We get our Digestives from local Intermarche. They're always in stock.

ajm

#36 Post by ajm »

Lotus have renamed their speculoos as Biscoff and they seem to have less cinnamon in them

Nomoss

#37 Post by Nomoss »

Loup-garou wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:32 am Like Exile our several attempts at raising horseradish have failed - even planted it in an old disused compost heap to no avail.

My wife doesn't use digestives as she says the base disintegrates too easily. She uses small slightly sweet biscuits of any brand which she calls "butter biscuits"

Lori

#38 Post by Lori »

Nomoss wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:26 pm My wife doesn't use digestives as she says the base disintegrates too easily. She uses small slightly sweet biscuits of any brand which she calls "butter biscuits"
Yes, depending on what I'm making I would tend to use the butter cookies (any store brand will do). Leader Price used to carry graham crackers, which worked well, but there isn't one near me. I have no idea if they still carry them.

exile

#39 Post by exile »

McVities digestives (red box) with and without chocolate coating are available even in our relatively small supermarkets, so I am surprised you cannot find them where you are.

If the bicuit base disintegrates, you need a bit more butter and to keep the cheesecake in the fridge.

Loup-garou

#40 Post by Loup-garou »

Thank you for all the responses - maybe a visit to Spec Savers is needed. Apologies for the thread diversion!