Hoopoe

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Loup-garou

Hoopoe

#11 Post by Loup-garou »

OK last try ................. if it works perhaps a responsible adult (Char) can condense the posts/pictures into one:-

IMG_20230330_134102.jpg
IMG_20230331_082451.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

Hoopoe

#12 Post by Lori »

I always love seeing them. Impressive looking birds.

I also love seeing the Pileated Woodpeckers. I don't know if they are found here in France. Amazing birds and their pecking is scary !

exile

Hoopoe

#13 Post by exile »

Great pictures LG.

Loup-garou

Hoopoe

#14 Post by Loup-garou »

Well he's still at it. Plus, he has discovered that the house has another side with even more windows!

With the help of Google and the LPO it seems he is trying to scare off all male comers (ie his reflection) I wish he'd concentrate on bagging a partner. He stopped before 8 pm last night but the lights inside the house were on so I didn't think there would be a reflection of him. Also he's bashing both sides of the house regardless of where the light is. Maybe he's a Don Quichotte Hoopoe who sees windows as evil entities.

Nobody else in the village seem to be aware of him so he must stay very local to chez nous. He's having no luck with these spiders and flies!

Headers

Hoopoe

#15 Post by Headers »

Before we changed all the windows to plastic, a hoopoe would sit on the ledge and pull all the putty out. I don’t clean the windows very often :? so they don’t allow a mirror image for the bird to fret over

Char
Site Admin

Hoopoe

#16 Post by Char »

Just heard a couple 'talking' to each other somewhere close - can't see them though.

Mangetout

Hoopoe

#17 Post by Mangetout »

I watched a Hoopoe this morning pecking away under a tree. Are they grain eaters? Alongside it was a fat pigeon, and believe it or not a red legged partridge. All seemingly oblivious to each other. Wonder what goes on in their heads when they see another bird.

Yonner

Hoopoe

#18 Post by Yonner »

Saw our first Hoopoo on easter sunday - landed on the side of the road in front of me as I turned into our drive. I didn't realise they had a cook like call.
We've heard cooks all week, but can never get to see them.

Mangetout

Hoopoe

#19 Post by Mangetout »

I had a young hoopoe on my balcony yesterday, snooping around. Sweet little thing.

Loup-garou

Hoopoe

#20 Post by Loup-garou »

Mangetout wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:06 pm I watched a Hoopoe this morning pecking away under a tree. Are they grain eaters?
They often search for ants disturbing their nests with their beaks.

My visitor continued to tap on my bedroom window every three days or so during my confinement. He would always tap then put one eye to the glass as if he was looking to see if I was there - of course he wasn't but I enjoyed his visits and always waved to him whereupon he would change the angle of his head.