Asian Hornets

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Spardo

Re: ASIAN HORNETS

#11 Post by Spardo »

[mention]Sunflower[/mention] Was that a 'live' nest or abandoned, and if the latter, does the commune destroy them because they return to them? Never seen one myself and, as far as I know, have never seen an Asian hornet. I can never remember the colour difference with the European ones several of which (I think) I have ushered out of the house over the years.

Sunflower

#12 Post by Sunflower »

Spardo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:43 am @Sunflower Was that a 'live' nest or abandoned, and if the latter, does the commune destroy them because they return to them? Never seen one myself and, as far as I know, have never seen an Asian hornet. I can never remember the colour difference with the European ones several of which (I think) I have ushered out of the house over the years.
Hello Spardo, yes it was a live nest. It's not a great photo but if you zoom in on the first one you can see the hornets going in and out, the second shot is the same nest after they had treated it.

The commune destroy them as they are trying to eradicate asian hornets from France.

They are darker than the common hornet, but this site will help: http://frelonasiatique.mnhn.fr/identification/

Spardo

#13 Post by Spardo »

[mention]Sunflower[/mention] So the spray was strong enough to kill them all as well as destroy the nest, can it really be true that non survive or perhaps those absent are infected and killed on return?

After looking at the link I don't think I have had them here or seen a nest, I am normally looking out for the pine processional caterpillars' nests so I'm sure I would have seen them if they were here. :)

Blaze

#14 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Sunflower[/mention]
Your photos are very good ! The little blighters are clearly seen in the 'before' shot.
They're easily distinguished from the European hornet - black with a yellow bum and distinctive yellow legs. It's a shame that it's Latin name is so nice : Vespa velutina.

[mention]Spardo[/mention]
Pine processionary cocoons tend to be in pine trees/conifers whilst Asian hornets generally choose deciduous trees. They like the bark of trees like birch and ash where it's easily stripped off.
That said, there is also the oak processionary caterpillar who likes .... yes, oak trees ! But their nest are generally on the trunk and not on the branches.

Spardo

#15 Post by Spardo »

[mention]Blaze[/mention] We have both round here, lots of them. :)

BTW, much as I love accordion music, I think much prefer your bucking bronco. ;) :D

Blaze

#16 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Spardo[/mention]
Sadly my bucking bronco days are limited ... and I have had to find other hidden talents :lol: "Fest Noz" (Breton dancing) is hugely popular with all ages and I play in a small group for such Fests. If you look at the video I posted on "What are you listening to", it's that sort of music !

Sunflower

#17 Post by Sunflower »

Spardo wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:24 pm @Sunflower So the spray was strong enough to kill them all as well as destroy the nest, can it really be true that non survive or perhaps those absent are infected and killed on return?

After looking at the link I don't think I have had them here or seen a nest, I am normally looking out for the pine processional caterpillars' nests so I'm sure I would have seen them if they were here. :)
As far as I know it kills them all. With that nest it was down a chemin, they blocked it off and they came and sorted it out at dusk as apparently they all go to bed.

Sunflower

#18 Post by Sunflower »

Blaze wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:34 pm @Sunflower
Your photos are very good !
Thank you Blaze, but I'm no photographer. Just point, wait for the beep and click. :D

Blaze

#19 Post by Blaze »

We have a snail's pace internet connection so sometimes it take a while for photos to load - yours are large but I did eventually manage to see them :D

RobertArthur

#20 Post by RobertArthur »

Two days ago in the French DIY magazine SystèmeD an article about the frelons asiatiques.