Anyone know what creature is doing this??

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Lori

#21 Post by Lori »

Well today's photo is rather gross. I don't see it on the "who shat that" site. Any ideas?
IMG_20231024_135956.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exile

#22 Post by exile »

That looks like a lot of part digested grapes. Would I be right in assuming that you have vineyards around?

If so then for me a likely candidate would be a stone martin - fouine

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fouine

Lori

#23 Post by Lori »

Thanks Exile. Hard for me to believe a creature that weighs 2 kilos could leave that much poo. The photo may not be clear, but the top part by the greener clump of grass is solid and a similar size to human poo. The blob below it is obviously the other portion of the gift.

After much research and talking with our gardeners today, I've come to the conclusion it is badger poo. I'm told they are all over the place round here. That would also explain the shuffling/lifting of the grass ALL OVER THE PLACE. And it is much worse these days. This is 'supposed to be' the time badgers fatten up for hibernation in Winter. So, they are busy. Between the moles, the voles, the badgers and I'm sure we have fouine also, the garden doesn't stand a chance.

Blaze

#24 Post by Blaze »

@Lori Badgers do make a hell of a mess. Their poo is extremely smelly, worse than fox - dogs just love to roll in it.
You will know if there are badgers about, their setts are very distinctive : a big hole like a "D" on its side. They're very clean animals, and generally dig a little hole (a latrine) for their poo not too close to the sett entrance. However, if they're out and about and you have the misfortune to have a visit to your garden .........

L Austin France

#25 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:40 pm However, if they're out and about and you have the misfortune to have a visit to your garden .........
I well remember when a championship golf course not far from my UK house was due to hold an open pro. tournament.
One fairway was deemed to be 'not up to par' & was partially re-turfed several weeks before the start date which was ripped up twice by nocturnal badgers before guards were employed to keep 'em off which sort of worked. :roll:

Blaze

#26 Post by Blaze »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:57 pm guards were employed to keep 'em off which sort of worked.
Badgers have been protected for years in the UK and woe betide anyone who's caught messing with a sett. However, I remember we were having problems with lambs in the corner of a large field because of the humungous earthworks created by badgers (they were falling into the holes and injuring themselves). We had to do some creative "gardening" at night, as well as making sure our scent was in evidence (!). The beasties buggered off to another of their earthworks in a copse nearby, and no more lambs were lost.

Lori

#27 Post by Lori »

Yes, I have to be very careful walking in our garden else I'll fall in a hole !

I've read that badgers don't like human, male urine as it tells them another 'animal' has marked the turf. However, we have 5000m2 of terrain and it rains here all the time. Don't see that working.

Does anyone think motion detector lights would have any impact ? I'm at a loss to figure out any way to successfully stop them.

RobertArthur

#28 Post by RobertArthur »

Lori

#29 Post by Lori »

Very interesting link RobertArthur. Thanks.

I'd never heard of the Nite Guard solar powered light. The company is located in the U.S.A. It looks like I can order from France, but there is no mention on how or if it is shipped outside the USA. I'll try to find something similar IN France. Could be worth a try. Not sure how the neighbors or the local hunters would feel about the lights.

Other option would be the motion detector lights, which we had already thought of. I think the Nite Guard lights might be more effective than the motion detector lights. But, I guess either are worth a try.

Lori

#30 Post by Lori »

So, I found these on Amazon.fr They don't get very good reviews. I guess we could take our chances and give them a try.

https://www.amazon.fr/r%C3%A9pulsifs-so ... merReviews