Mousy smell

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Headers

Mousy smell

#1 Post by Headers »

I have been walking through the kitchen for the last couple of days. What was that smell? My nose isn’t too accurate after a long stint of chemo so I couldn’t really work out what it was.

It has got more pungent today and I finally worked out where it was coming from. The electrical panel in the wall. I keep a mousetrap in there just in case and this one was a whopper but very dead.

Lori

Mousy smell

#2 Post by Lori »

Ahh yes, the smell of a dead animal/rodent. At least your trap put an end to it. AND, you managed to find it.

Hotrodder

Mousy smell

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

I was asked to install a new lighting circuit and do some fault finding for a client some years ago and when I opened the distribution panel I found three dead mice. They had taken a liking to the insulation and decided to set up home in the box. Yukk!
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

Mousy smell

#4 Post by Quiksilver »

OH thought it was quite amusing to see a Mickey disappear into the garage when he opened the door the other day. Coincidence that the following day my car developed a fault with the reversing lights? Mickey's days are numbered!

Hotrodder

Mousy smell

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

I have tried lots of ordinary traps with mixed results. Then I bought a battery powered one from The Big Cheese range. Brilliant results. Baited with a dab of peanut butter they can't resist it.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

hughnique

Mousy smell

#6 Post by hughnique »

Even found one in the back of a microwave we had in for repair, dead of course.

rabbit

Mousy smell

#7 Post by rabbit »

We once had a bad smell in a spare room. Couldn’t find the source until eventually I traced it to a pocket of an expensive leather jacket of my wife that was hanging in a wardrobe. Yes it was a dead mouse and my wife refuses still refuses to wear the jacket.

Hotrodder

Mousy smell

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

:lol:

Bayleaf

Mousy smell

#9 Post by Bayleaf »

We share our house with all sorts of little beasties - there's nothing we can do about it, it's so old with various cracks and holes in the stone work. As long as they stay out of sight, it's not a problem - I've even got used to the sound of tiny feet above my head at night! It could be mice, lizards, and I'm pretty sure there's been a slithering of a snake in the tiny space between the kitchen ceiling and first floor during the summer! :o

We do draw the line at anything that frequents the kitchen though, and sometimes set a trap by the place they usually make their entrance. Sometimes, one of the cats will bring in a live mouse and let the ruddy thing go - so that's the opposite of pest control isn't it? :crazy:

Possibly worst incident so far, I went to put a piece of bread in the toaster and a mouse jumped out - phew! Didn't fancy toasted mouse for breakfast! Quick shake out, and clean off the crumb tray, and we're good to go! :D

As for the gassy smell of a rotting little critter, thankfully we haven't had that for years.

Naylor's Ark

Mousy smell

#10 Post by Naylor's Ark »

OH went to put a boot on and couldn't get his foot in properly. Found a dead mouse inside. :lol: