Last day of hunting season for Winter 2023/24 today?

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
Lori

#11 Post by Lori »

Quiksilver wrote: ↑Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:18 pm Apart from anything else, isn't it sensible to have a contact number for the Président so you can let him know when one of the dogs is wandering, lost?
Oh that would be good too !!! Last week, six - yes six hounds crawled under our fence (we watched them). Crafty little critters ! Luckily before we could open the portail to suggest they depart, they found another place to swivel under the fence to depart...

Yes, I'd love a phone number. Maybe next time I walk by one of the hunters manning the hunting stand on our street, I might politely ask him - sighting our recent experiences. Hopefully, he won't mind me asking.

elsie

#12 Post by elsie »

The dates can be different for different animals/species e.g. boar, hares, deer see https://www.chassons.com/category/calendrier-chasse/ for the dates by department

Bayleaf

#13 Post by Bayleaf »

Ah, thanks for that @elsie. It looks like boar hunting doesn't stop until end of March. Judging by the state of the fields around here, it doesn't look like they catch many! :roll: :D

Blaze

#14 Post by Blaze »

I was not surprised to see the prints of a couple of sanglier down the track from our house, the other day. We've already seen parts of the track that looked as if a digger had been there, but this is the first time that I've seen the tracks so clearly defined. We've also seen the odd chevreuil but fortunately none of the beasties have come right up to the house. There are plenty of hares around - we try desperately to distract Rafal because he'd be off .....

exile

#15 Post by exile »

Quiksilver wrote: ↑Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:18 pm How pleasant to read of positive chasse experiences for a change! Maybe we've just been lucky here in 47 but we've never experienced any unpleasant behaviour on the part of chasseurs, quite the contrary. Admittedly, we're not great ramblers, don't have time or inclination, but all the fields and woods around us are hunted and never had a problem. I was saddened recently to see on a forum that shall remain nameless, someone who obviously knows nothing about French hunting practices sounding off with his personal, totally anti views as though they are the only ones possible. Quite vicious and utterly ill-informed on the rôle the chasse plays in maintaining healthy levels of wildlife :roll:
Apart from anything else, isn't it sensible to have a contact number for the Président so you can let him know when one of the dogs is wandering, lost?
All the stray hunt dogs that arrive in our garden - open on all sides - and there have been quite a few, have had collars with a telephone number on - not always very easy to read. But a close neighbour is in the Chasse and can usually sort things out.

L Austin France

#16 Post by L Austin France »

We've got horses in 3Ha of terrain surrounded by chasseable fields &, in the 19 years we've lived in this house have never had a problem with the two local hunts.
Mme goes out riding or dog walking most days & has never mentioned any problems.

Bayleaf

#17 Post by Bayleaf »

A neighbour has said she believes there's a flurry of hunters on the Sunday AFTER the season has just finished, so even more dangerous to be out and about. This sounds a bit bonkers to me, but could it be true? Dordogne general closing day was yesterday, 29th Feb (apart from wild boar) :crazy:

Loup-garou

#18 Post by Loup-garou »

It's now all quiet on the Eastern Front. Also, now when we visit Autun, we can stay over the weekend rather than depart early Saturday morning.

tagh

#19 Post by tagh »

Season must be over, pheasants everywhere. Wish they wouldnt warm their feet in the middle of the road though!

Bayleaf

#20 Post by Bayleaf »

Fishing season looks about to start. Much quieter, but as two of our fields border the river, we do just have to be careful of them leaving undesirable things behind (loo paper, beer bottles, old fishing wire that a horse might like to eat - yes I did extract some from a horse's mouth once .....) :roll:

I'm encouraging them to continue a corrider between the field fence and the river - they suggested it, I said, great idea! That way, hopefully they won't have to go through the fields at all.