Reinette/grenouille/frog ????

🦊 Anything to do with Wildlife in France, from insects to birds and moles.
demi

#1 Post by demi »

I was at a friend's garden yesterday & we spotted this frog which she called a reinette. I looked up the translation& it gives it as a tree frog. I thought they were only found in much warmer climes??

(She took the photo, not meand she is French)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hughnique

#2 Post by hughnique »

We found one in the dustbin some years back, probably chasing maggots that get in there in the hot weather.

Bayleaf

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

We had one perched to the outside of a downstairs window - it was fascinating being able to study his/her tummy! :lol: :D The window is above a wall that is always damp underneath, so a nice place for a frog to live.

Blaze

#4 Post by Blaze »

Beautiful, well caught. They're found in most parts of France but not in the south - probably too dry and lacking lush vegetation.

Veem

#5 Post by Veem »

We have them here too. You were very lucky to see it as they hide successfully in the trees and also seem able to throw their voices! We have actually only ever seen one when it landed on a French window, so we were fortunate enough to see the whole of his underside as well - including his funny little suction feet! I always think they sound more like a duck than a frog. The vet was here one day when a tree frog began to call and the vet thought I was mad when I told him it was a tree frog. I didn't know the French for it at the time.

Quiksilver

#6 Post by Quiksilver »

Blaze wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:28 am Beautiful, well caught. They're found in most parts of France but not in the south - probably too dry and lacking lush vegetation.
How far south is south? We've always had loads of them here in Lot et Garonne. Whilst living in the mobilhome during the renovation, a family of them used to attach themselves to the (uncurtained) window to catch the moths attracted to the light. The incredibly loud noise that such a tiny creature makes had us wondering what on earth it could be :D Nowadays they live in the temporary conservatory during the winter and in the garden during the warmer months. Watering cans are a favourite hang-out.

Lori

#7 Post by Lori »

We were surprised to find two small ones in the door jam of our front door about a month or so ago. Just enough space for them to shelter/hide there.

Blaze

#8 Post by Blaze »

Quiksilver wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:48 am How far south is south?
Mediterranean but also any areas where ditches have been filled in and their habitats removed. Some areas of France are drier than others ...

Quiksilver

#9 Post by Quiksilver »

Too right...I'm currently researching some of the drier bits before we both develop terminal rust :lol: