I thought they were there to find homes for pets

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
L Austin France

#1 Post by L Austin France »

We're on the lookout for another mutt to share our lives with & Mme LAF is scouring the Finistere refuge websites.
Very early yesterday morning she found an ideal candidate which was just entered on a SPA facebook site &, expressing her interest, left her phone number for them to contact her when they opened. She followed this up with email & sms confirmations.
Hearing nothing by lunchtime she again phoned the site & after waiting for ages her call was finally answered.
She explained the reason for her call & was brusquely told the dog was reserved.
"OK" she said but can you take my details in case it becomes available.
"Fill in the form on the website" was the curt reply from the person who obviously had no interest in engaging with a prospective adoptee.
Great work from an outfit whose raison d'être is supposed to be finding homes for animals. :evil:

Lori

#2 Post by Lori »

Clearly the person is in the wrong job.

Very sad for the animals there.

Don't give up. Perhaps there are others working there that have a heart.

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

I agree with Lori.
We too are looking for a companion for Rafal and I found the ideal one on the Saint Malo SPA facebook site.
Rather than phoning, we went down there - it's on the right side of town for us and isn't that far. Unfortunately there was someone there before us and they took her. We were asked to fill in a form with what we were looking for but the SPA said they only keep it for a couple of weeks. I somehow doubt they actually bother to look at the form.

Ou local kennels gave us the name of someone who's looking to re-home her Aussie Shepherd because she hasn't the time to give him. Unfortunately he's male and the same age as Rafal (I think he's been jobbed). Seeing as Aussies are not on our wish list, it's amazing how many are looking for homes. The problem is people get a dog that isn't suitable for their lifestyle then the poor thing gets advertised or dumped.

We're not in a great rush but do want to find something reasonably soon before Rafal becomes too set in being the only dog. We've always found 2 are far less complicated than one.

L Austin France

#4 Post by L Austin France »

This afternoon Mme LAF has visited 2 other SPAs in our area.
Got the same "fill in the form" routine from both.
Nobody was interested in actually talking to a prospective adoptee.
Totally different from when we adopted Bob.
To say the least she is extremely pissed off :roll:
Anyone know of a Griffon like Bob, which wouldn't eat chooks or cats, who's looking for a home? We'd travel a long way for the right mutt.

Quiksilver

#5 Post by Quiksilver »

It doesn't excuse the behaviour of the staff, but I've been reading a lot lately about the local refuges all being snowed under with unwanted pets and the annual influx of abandoned kittens. I'd imagine that anyone working in that environment has to create a protective shell just to stay sane, so maybe that is coming over in their dealings with the public? Not helpful for the animals, though.

Blaze

#6 Post by Blaze »

@L Austin France There are lots of adoption sites on FB : I've just typed in "chien griffon adoption" and several adoption sites have come up.
Local vets, kennels, even Le Bon Coin, local papers.
You could put an ad on a FB page, lots of towns have them.

L Austin France

#7 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 am @L Austin France There are lots of adoption sites on FB : I've just typed in "chien griffon adoption" and several adoption sites have come up.
Local vets, kennels, even Le Bon Coin, local papers.
You could put an ad on a FB page, lots of towns have them.
Thanks for your interest.
Mme looks at FB every day & is now actively seeking info on one at a refuge in Rennes.

Blaze

#8 Post by Blaze »

Hope she finds something, it's not always easy. You can end up with the opposite of what you're looking for, as we did with Rafal. No regrets though !!!

L Austin France

#9 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:15 am Hope she finds something, it's not always easy. You can end up with the opposite of what you're looking for, as we did with Rafal. No regrets though !!!
Know what you mean.
Our first 'french' recue Maxi was a bichon/caniche cross who was an adorable little thing who travelled everywhere with us for about 12 years so that's the type we looked for when she went to doggie heaven.
We couldn't resist Bob the griffon X who was also adorable so who knows what fate will have in store for us.
Karma will always win out. :D

Hotrodder

#10 Post by Hotrodder »

Have a look for the rescue centre at Callac (in 22 near us). Called Green Valley or something like that. We have met several of their staff and they are a dedicated bunch.
https://www.thegreenvalleybrittany.org/
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.