I thought they were there to find homes for pets

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
L Austin France

#91 Post by L Austin France »

How do you get rid of a Lump in your throat?

Blaze

#92 Post by Blaze »

I can imagine how difficult that was to write, LG, I only have to read a dog story to have tears in my eyes.

Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a dog live to old age. My first BC was diagnosed with Hodgkins at 6 years old and at that time there was no treatment. I was devastated, but then Blaze came along, then Callie, then Pomme .... all unwanted Border Collies, all living to a ripe old age.
We lost both Bimbo and Sweep (half sisters) to old age last year which was dreadful, but we'd treasured our time with them especially as they got older. Both dogs were able to run on the beach in the days before they went and for both of them, the inevitable day was suddenly upon us. On both occasions, they told us it was their time.
Gosh, this is really difficult to write ..... impossible to stop that lump in the throat ...
We've never over-exercised our dogs nor made them run for miles on roads. Regular massages/checks by our wonderful kiné friend (she does dogs, horses and people) and very careful attention to diet.
Yes, we spend a fortune on our dogs, and they want for nothing, including our time. The six months between losing Sweep and gaining Rafal (another rehomed Aussie) were just awful. No mud on the floor, no grubby windows, no-one to squeak at you when you come down in the morning or when you come in from being out, no car back windows covered in gozzle .... and absolutely no tumbleweed everywhere. It felt so sterile, so unlived in. It's quite amazing how animals take such a huge place in your hearts .....

We're looking for a youngish female to keep Rafal company, medium sized. It'll be Rafal who decides but we know he loves playing with other dogs. We've always found 2 dogs easier than just one. After Christmas, we'll make a serious search though it's usually about 6 months later that people realise the puppy/dog they got for Christmas is not what they expected ....

Lori

#93 Post by Lori »

What a sweet story Loup-Garou from the Guardian.

Your story was equally emotional. We had similar feelings in the last year of our Collie's life. It was very hard to watch his health deteriorate. He was such a love. I cry just writing about him. I miss him terribly.

You take one day at a time and cherish every moment you get.