I thought they were there to find homes for pets

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
L Austin France

#61 Post by L Austin France »

Chappers51 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:32 am I love her, I’m sure she’s enjoying the special care you’re giving her.

Lampshades and Freddy (Bobtail) didn’t work so I bought an inflatable doughnut for him and thankfully it worked for Raffi too. The added advantage is that the outer can be washed after use.
Trouble is she's scratching at her plaster with her back feet, so, short of doggy handcuffs..... :)

Blaze

#62 Post by Blaze »

We've got doggy bootees which we bought for one of ours to stop her slipping on the tiles in her old age. They were excellent !
They were a bit like this - but might be a bit expensive just to wear for a few days !
Capture d’écran 2023-10-11 à 14.31.29.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

#63 Post by Lori »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:45 am I was scratching my stitches so they bought me this.
Now I look a right Jessie.
Aww, poor thing. The wound must be healing as they (wounds) always seem to begin to itch when they are healing.

L Austin France

#64 Post by L Austin France »

It's not over yet !
We've just had an email from the SPA containing 5 pages relating to the code rural 213-4 arrete ministerial du 23september 1999 blah blah blah.
I've had a quick look & it appears that whilst they've included an invoice for the payment we made & confirmed the destruction of our cheque de caution the dog is still not definitely ours.
According to this law the dog is considered 'under surveillance' for 90 days after it entered the fourriers & after this period we, at our expense, have to have a vet's examination after the 28 Nov. & certification that she doesn't have 'symptomes de rage' & during this period we must allow an SPA visit to establish the dog's well being. Failing these conditions it seems the dog can be reclaimed by the SPA.
Other forms to sign & return but the above's the gist as I read it.
I don't necessarily dissagree with any of this as it's obviously designed to weed out possible bad adoptees but what a palaver for folk like us who are genuine.
It just seems to me that a lot of potential good adoptees could be put off by this endless paperwork which is possibly counter productive to the refuge's aim of getting animals adopted.
I'm wondering if this is yet another example of the French love of bullshit paperwork :evil:

Blaze

#65 Post by Blaze »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:51 am It just seems to me that a lot of potential good adoptees could be put off by this endless paperwork which is possibly counter productive to the refuge's aim of getting animals adopted.
I'm wondering if this is yet another example of the French love of bullshit paperwork
We're looking for another dog and your experience is a nail in the coffin for us re adoption agencies like the SPA. Yes I agree with being careful to weed out time wasters and bad adoptees, but I think we'll try to find something the way we found Rafal - word of mouth via our vet, kiné, dog trainers, kennels etc. It's not a question of money, but more the paperwork (which you have to do in any sort of adoption) and general hassle factor which could be avoided.

There's nothing worse than the feeling that once you and the dog have found each other that it could turn to rats over some administrative failure.

Lori

#66 Post by Lori »

L Austin France wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:51 am It just seems to me that a lot of potential good adoptees could be put off by this endless paperwork which is possibly counter productive to the refuge's aim of getting animals adopted.
No question about it and very sad. OH and daughter are very keen on adopting a dog, but after reading your experience with the SPA, if we ever do adopt, it won't be through them. This would go a long way in explaining why they always seem to have SO many animals and so few people adopting them.

L Austin France

#67 Post by L Austin France »

Bearing in mind that it's a 1999 law it's strange that we had none of this nonsense with our last two SPA adopted dogs or single cat which were pretty much straight in, pay, paperwork & home with no further questions .
It could just be the over enthusiasm for the law by this particular Redon SPA. I certainly wouldn't let it put me off approaching the various SPA's if the right dog was available & I'd definitely go the extra paperwork mile for another sweetie like Jessie. :D
It's not the dog's fault that the law is being vigorously applied, they just want a good home. Forwarned is forarmed so now that these things are known the right questions can be asked.Please don't let our experience put you off.

Loup-garou

#68 Post by Loup-garou »

I agree with your last point LAF - our last incomer came via the SPA Lorraine (I believe they are somewhat separate from SPA proper). One visit there, about 80k away, signed the form there and then (the dog was already castrated). We donated an extra 150€ (giving a total 400€) and they gave us a certificate to prove to l'Impots that we had donated. After a week we got a letter telling us that should we find it difficult to pay vet fees, they may be able to help "exceptionally".

So, no real problems or imbuggerances. Although, as I have said before, they told us he was a border collie and he wasn't - but he needed a home. Footnote, with four big brothers to keep him right, he now thinks he's a collie! :shh:

L Austin France

#69 Post by L Austin France »

It's coming up to the time when Jessie & us will have jumped through all the hoops & she finally becomes legally ours.
She's coming on well with recall but only in our fenced in garden so it'll be with some trepidation when we find the confidence & courage to let her loose in the field.
She's a hunting / gun dog wire haired Griffon cross who shows a strong interest in all smells when out on the lead & if she's anything like Bob, our last Griffon she'll want to investigate them.
Bob used to disappear into the neighbouring fields but always returned within a half hour or when whistled. We're hoping Jess will be similar but there's always that heart in mouth first time moment !
In view of this, & just in case, we're looking at GPS tracking collars & would appreciate any advice from folk who use or have used them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

#70 Post by Lori »

Soooo Cute.

Never used a GPS collar, but it seems like a good thing to have.