First time in company

:dog2::cat2: Keeping dogs, cats and all other pets in France
L Austin France

First time in company

#11 Post by L Austin France »

Our first experience of our dog in a resto. was years ago when little Maxi, a Bichon X was accepted with a "pourquoi pas!" by every place we asked .
Bob the Griffon was the next when we explained to our local resto owner that we hadn't eaten there recently due to not wanting to leave our recently adopted & nervous rescue home alone & destroy the confidence we were instilling in him. " Bring him here" was her reply & a corner table complete with doggy bowl provided for our first 'early doors' trial. Needless to say Bob behaved impecably & became a favourite with other diners.
Jessie will soon be the 3rd after we've again checked with resto owner who assures us she's had no complaints from other diners over well behaved doggy companions.

ajm

First time in company

#12 Post by ajm »

Just because nobody complained doesn't mean they approve - probably too polite and what good would complaining do.

Blaze

First time in company

#13 Post by Blaze »

It's the owners or managers who make the decision to allow dogs in the restaurant. There are often other dogs there too so it would seem to be the norm and some owners even offer a bowl of water. We generally get a place where our dogs won't be in the way of anyone. People that don't approve can always go elsewhere ! I'd far rather be in a restaurant with well-behaved dogs than badly-behaved children - or adults.

We don't take our dogs to restaurants round here because we can leave them at home. But then we've never taken our dogs with us every time we go out. The welcome we get when we come home is wonderful .....

ajm

First time in company

#14 Post by ajm »

I am not saying wheter or not they should be allowed. The decision is made by the dog owner. Why do I feel so strongly? When I have been in a restaurant and someone at the next table has had a dog on their lap and feeding it from their plate. Yuk!!

L Austin France

First time in company

#15 Post by L Austin France »

ajm wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:40 pm I am not saying wheter or not they should be allowed.
"I like dogs but,please, not in restaurants"sounds very much like that's what you're saying.
ajm wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:40 pm Why do I feel so strongly? When I have been in a restaurant and someone at the next table has had a dog on their lap and feeding it from their plate. Yuk!!
You'll get no arguments from me on that score. I'd be the first to complain.
Responsible owners, such as we strive to be, make it their business to ensure their dogs don't affect anybody else no matter how or where it is.

ajm

First time in company

#16 Post by ajm »

I'm sure you are responsible. The times I have seen dogs in that situation have all been with french owners and we rarely see other nationalities.

Blaze

First time in company

#17 Post by Blaze »

ajm wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:40 pm Why do I feel so strongly? When I have been in a restaurant and someone at the next table has had a dog on their lap and feeding it from their plate. Yuk!!
I couldn't agree more AJM.
I've seen some appalling table manners here, enough to put anyone off their food ....

Pathca

First time in company

#18 Post by Pathca »

I remember being at a restaurant in Nimes one Sunday lunch and on another table a dog had its own chair and was being fed.

Antonia

First time in company

#19 Post by Antonia »

Pathca wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:16 pm I remember being at a restaurant in Nimes one Sunday lunch and on another table a dog had its own chair and was being fed.
That's outrageous!!
A cat on the other hand ....... :lol:

Chappers51

First time in company

#20 Post by Chappers51 »

I must admit I have never taken any of my dogs into a restaurant, although they have sat under a pub garden table.

I hate to see cats wandering around my feet in restaurants and indeed up on tables and worktops in friends houses, especially when I’ve been invited to eat.

You’ve guessed, I’m not a cat person.