Buying a house with a pool

🏊 Buying, building and maintaining pools and swimming ponds in France.
Hotrodder

#21 Post by Hotrodder »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:17 am
Hotrodder wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:57 pm I haven't had a pool myself but when I first arrived in France I was in charge of looking after a pool for clients. Judging by the effort it took, and the issues mentioned above re: taxation, electricity costs, maintenance chemicals and breakdowns, etc. I wouldn't even consider having one myself. If I had money to burn I would jump at the chance of a simple hot tub which would be cheaper in every respect.
We got wise after a while, and said "we're gardeners, not pool guys - find someone else to do the pool"! Utter headache, and one particular set of clients couldn't even agree with each other on the general maintenance, and both clashed with their "professional" pool guy (a rip-off merchant if ever I saw one!) - it was always someone else's fault! Non merci! After hoiking out dead mice from their filter several times, I thought "I'm better than this!" :lol:
I occasionally managed to rescue on or two mice before they drowned and felt a little better about that part. The highlight for me was when one set of visitors were complaining the pool was not warm enough for their little dears. Each day when I turned up to clean it they nagged me to increase the temperature. This was a fully enclosed pool that wasn't always exposed to wind, etc. I kept cranking up the temperature and the next day the pool was bright green! 82 degrees not only pleased the guests but absolutely delighted the algae. I had to shut it down, kill off the algae overnight, and vacuum the brown slime the following day. Then they moaned about the chlorine smell.
Mental note made. Never think running a gite is a good idea. Mucking out after holiday makers is no picnic either.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Quiksilver

#22 Post by Quiksilver »

I'd agree with every word of the above, but demi was talking about a private pool :D On the positive side, you have a pool that you can jump into as many times a day as you want, no having to schlepp into the nearest town or to the nearest beach. One that you don't have to share with la grande publique, that has lower chlorine level requirements precisely because of that. One that, dare I say it, doesn't require the use of swimwear if you prefer to swim without. One that is kept at a temperature to suit your own preferences....
As far as longevity and maintenance costs go, we replaced the sand in the filter once in 12 years, and OH has had to repair a wheel on the robot a couple of times. Testing the water and using the robot keeps him occupied a bit because he does damn' all else :lol:
Nope, I couldn't live without ours :angel:

demi

#23 Post by demi »

I go to see the house tomorrow - it's on a lottisment & edge of town so I don't think I could skinny dip (sadly, I love it).

I'll let you all know the verdict.

Many thanks for all the replies - I am not at all keen on the pool & think I'd be paying for something I don't want.

Spectrum

#24 Post by Spectrum »

demi wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:52 pm I go to see the house tomorrow - it's on a lottisment & edge of town so I don't think I could skinny dip (sadly, I love it).

I'll let you all know the verdict.

Many thanks for all the replies - I am not at all keen on the pool & think I'd be paying for something I don't want.
I dont think the French would worry if you went skinny dipping, they are more relaxed about these things, there again if your house is overlooked by the local mens prison that may be different. :shock: :shock:

Antonia

#25 Post by Antonia »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:23 am I dont think the French would worry if you went skinny dipping, they are more relaxed about these things
Actually not quite true. If you are naked in your own home but someone can see you from the street you can be fined up to 30,000 euros and sent to prison for a year. Before you go skinny dipping just make sure your pool can't be overlooked by anyone.

Spectrum

#26 Post by Spectrum »

Yes but if you are Female if we are allowed to call you that, then if I a male sees you skinny dipping I get arrested as a peeping tom, if I go skinny dipping and you are standing watching me, I get arrested as a Flasher :shock:

Mangetout

#27 Post by Mangetout »

We have an above ground pool and its in a part of the garden which is very private, so I skinny dip. But last summer as I walked up the steps to enter the pool there was a lorry parked in the lane at the back of our house which had a very high cab. The driver gave me a big smile but I don't think he reported me :oops:

Blaze

#28 Post by Blaze »

@Mangetout :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, Mangetout, but that must have made his day !

Quiksilver

#29 Post by Quiksilver »

If anyone saw me they'd either be in an aircraft, have very powerful binoculars or be wandering around the garden illegally :D In any case, they'd be the ones suffering a distressing experience, not me :lol:

Mangetout

#30 Post by Mangetout »

Blaze wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:10 pm @Mangetout :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry, Mangetout, but that must have made his day !
I

I'm not a small girl so if he liked big girls he would have been made up!!