Diagnosis

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
hughnique

Diagnosis

#1 Post by hughnique »

My OH is a medical walking disaster, she has had constant back pain since her first pregnancy in 1970, that was relieved a little when we moved here and she had surgery, evidently she had to have a cavity made somewhere in her spine for her sciatic nerve to be accommodated, or something like that. That, however, wasn't a long term answer and she still suffers to this day. Even worse is the fact that the pain in her right leg, and frequently in the left, seems to get worse when she lays down to sleep at night, and then there is the constant pins and needles in her right hand and wrist. Doctor seen this week, immediate blood test, X Ray on Friday the 13th???, and medication with an anti inflam and morphine tabs for the pain. Doctor says it is either tendinitis, or osteoarthritis, as for the pins and needles he didn't know. Whether he thinks to get one problem sorted then move on who knows, but she says she doesn't sleep at night, gets up early hours as pain is bad laying down and then sleeps on the settee, for most of the morning. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, with this pins and needles sensation.

Pathca

Diagnosis

#2 Post by Pathca »

Pins and needles in the hand can often be due to problems in the neck so could well be osteoarthritis

hughnique

Diagnosis

#3 Post by hughnique »

Pathca wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:05 pm Pins and needles in the hand can often be due to problems in the neck so could well be osteoarthritis
Thank you is there any relief for it?

Pathca

Diagnosis

#4 Post by Pathca »

Anti inflammatories ,maybe worth seeing a physio

hughnique

Diagnosis

#5 Post by hughnique »

She had a few sessions of kine after her back op, spent a lot of time on what could be described as a space hopper, all seemed a waste of time, osteopath's, saw several in the UK for the back all to no avail, but hopefully I can persuade her if the doc suggests it after the x rays tomorrow, thanks again for your input.

Lori

Diagnosis

#6 Post by Lori »

If it is Osteoarthritis, there are drugs/injections that can be administered monthly over a period of time. I know someone who took them. Sorry, I can't remember the name of her particular drug. I'm pretty sure there are several on the market. They seemed to help her a great deal.

Has she tried steroid treatment?

I recently pinched a nerve in my groin (yard work) and the pain was excruciating. Doctor ordered x-rays to see if there was anything pressing on the area to cause the pain (in other words determine if it is NOT a pinched nerve). X-ray showed nothing pressing on nerve. So, pinched nerve it was. Lasted for MONTHS. The entire area from groin up to near navel was totally numb. He did ask me about the pins and needles thing though.

Could she have a secondary injury exacerbating her initial diagnosis?

hughnique

Diagnosis

#7 Post by hughnique »

She reckons I am a pain in the arse, whether that's connected :shh: :shh: Yes had steroid in the knee, and back from a particularly obnoxious doctor at Angers, told her to be quiet when she was in pain and crying with it, only her that stopped me from clumping him. Evidently he is the only one that can do it within a few days, wonder why?? Just have to wait for x rays and see Doc again next week

Lori

Diagnosis

#8 Post by Lori »

Yes, steroid injections are painful, but they normally help. My doctor here in Dordogne said before he would order the steroid injection for my arthritic hand, I had to have it x-ray'd. He wrote the prescription, but I have not gone in for the x-ray yet. But, apparently, the steroid injections are not as readily given here as they are in the U.S.

Did those injections relieve any of her pain ?

hughnique

Diagnosis

#9 Post by hughnique »

I think the pain has gone in her knee, either that or the latest is taking priority

Lori

Diagnosis

#10 Post by Lori »

The steroid injections can take more than 24 hours to 'begin' to do their job. She should then begin to see more improvement with each passing day. It all depends on how much injection she receives, which can be a work in progress until the doctor can determine how much she actually needs to relieve her pain.