Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
Bayleaf

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#1 Post by Bayleaf »

It turns out normal gaviscon does still exist! Last few times we have asked for it over the counter, at two different pharmacies, they have sold us a similar sized packed (24 sachets) of Gavisconell for nearly three times the price, despite us saying "Gaviscon".

I had a little discussion with the young lady in our local pharmacy (which changed hands last year, and all the prices instantly increased). I said I specifically wanted Gaviscon, and not Gavisconell. Just saved myself 7€ on one box - so make sure you get what you ask for? We assume they know longer stock the original, but I'll bet they're on special commission for pushing the "new, improved, three times the price" one.

Stay alert folks!

Pathca

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#2 Post by Pathca »

Gavisconell sounds a bit like the Gaviscon Dual action available in the UK ,costs more for little or no difference in fact I prefer the basic
A relative visiting France got a generic version,same ingredients but not branded and that was even cheaper

Blaze

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#3 Post by Blaze »

Yes, Pathca, there are generic versions of many things but you have to ask. Sometimes the pharmacist will ask if you're happy with a generic version of a medication.
This is particularly so in the case of stuff which is reimbursed - it saves the state a fortune if people accept generic !

Pathca

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#4 Post by Pathca »

I was asked if I wanted Neurofen or a generic in very rural France

niemeyjt

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

Pathca wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:53 pmGavisconell sounds a bit like the Gaviscon Dual action available in the UK ,costs more for little or no difference in fact I prefer the basic
A relative visiting France got a generic version,same ingredients but not branded and that was even cheaper
Not so sure - it just seems weaker - less for more:

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 13-07-31 GAVISCONELL - VIDAL.png
Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 13-08-12 GAVISCON - VIDAL.png

Both appear to offer same formulation as Gaviscon Double Action - https://thisvsthat.io/gaviscon-advance- ... ble-action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blaze

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#6 Post by Blaze »

Pathca wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:06 pm I was asked if I wanted Neurofen or a generic in very rural France
That's good ! The French seem to think that Dolipran is a generic rather than a brand name :shock:

Pathca

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#7 Post by Pathca »

To be honest it was the packaging that looked familiar
I buy big bottles of the supermarket own label products but like the sachets for traveling

Bayleaf

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#8 Post by Bayleaf »

Having tried both now, and not seeing any difference in composition on the box, I can say the more expensive one doesn't seem to work any better than the cheap one. In fact, the price of Gavisconell is enough to give you heartburn! :lol:

Coldonat

Gaviscon -v- Gavisconell

#9 Post by Coldonat »

Bit late now, but I bought some 'Phytosun aroms' on Amazon.fr a while ago. Very similar to Gaviscon, chewable etc., but they don't seem to be available now. 9€ for 20, not sure how that compares with the Gaviscon I bought in the UK last year.

There's these 'Aboca NeoBianacid 70 comprimés' and similar on Amazon.fr.