Bit of a problem perhaps

🩺 Post Questions & Find Info On: Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals, Health Insurance, Social Security, Care for the Elderly, etc.
manonthemoon2

Bit of a problem perhaps

#1 Post by manonthemoon2 »

I'm now receiving UK state pension and have my S1.

I tried to get my husband on my S1 but, because he still works and pays social charges to France they would not include him on my S1 as UK is not his member state.

When he receives his UK state pension in 3 years time he proposes to stop working.

However, will he then get an S1? He also gets deducted a tiny, really tiny, amount to pay for a French pension.

I'm beginning to worry that he will still have to pay for security social even though he will only receive a basic (not even a full amount of years) pension, plus the pittance of French pension.

Any advice please? Anyone else had a similar situation.

exile

Bit of a problem perhaps

#2 Post by exile »

If he is working in France when he retires and if he continues to live in France, then France will be his competent state and yes he will end up paying social charges if the rules require it.

Can he go back to the UK for a few months work before he retires?

manonthemoon2

Bit of a problem perhaps

#3 Post by manonthemoon2 »

exile wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:59 pm If he is working in France when he retires and if he continues to live in France, then France will be his competent state and yes he will end up paying social charges if the rules require it.

Can he go back to the UK for a few months work before he retires?
Thanks Exile, we were wondering about this as an option

exile

Bit of a problem perhaps

#4 Post by exile »

I have done a bit of digging. What I proposed would have worked pre-Brexit, but I think it no longer works. You could try getting expert advice on this but I think ex-UK pensioners now have to apply for CMU:PUMA or whatever the 2024 acronym is.

Polarengineer

Bit of a problem perhaps

#5 Post by Polarengineer »

I do not know if the UK gov still allow for a pension top up. I paid for several missed years of contributions to enable a full UK pension. I cost a bit, but only took a few years to get it back. The return on the investment is very good, it might be possible to get a bank loan to top up the UK pension. Do the maths and see if that works.