What's for Dinner?

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
suein56

What's for Dinner?

#591 Post by suein56 »

MAD87 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:57 pm I'm impressed with the AF, but going slowly.
Exactly how I have been in the 15 months we have had it .. it's surprising how adaptable it is and how well it cooks some dishes and how speedily.
OH just cooks chips in it .. and is surprised when I produce smthg like a crumble or a tart completely from scratch, cooked in the AF.
Baked potatoes are excellent and much quicker than the ordinary oven.
And for reheating dishes such as tartiflette and pasta dishes it is super as it doesn't dry out the dishes as a traditional oven might do.

Quiksilver

What's for Dinner?

#592 Post by Quiksilver »

I must be out-of-date (again). We're not talking a Tefal Actifry here? :?

MAD87

What's for Dinner?

#593 Post by MAD87 »

Lori wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:52 pm I don't know what tea bread is, but I have had very good luck making traditional American biscuits in the AF and also muffins. Have you tried cooking chicken in it yet? It is amazing how well it will cook drumsticks and any other chicken with skin/bones.
Tea bread has several recipes but it's basically a fruit loaf. I haven't eaten it for years, but I saw an AF receipe last week that looked interesting. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a suitable dish to fit the AF, so had to cook it in the ornery oven (3 times as long).

So far, I've cooked 2 pork joints and 1 beef, and will try chicken when I have a suitable bony piece. When my new AF dishes arrive, I'll try a gratin de légumes in it, as there's really only 1 carnivore in the household. I haven't tried any potatoes either -I don't eat chips or roast potatoes and I usually do baked pots in the microwave. What I really need is a chef: a young man with smouldering eyes and magic fingers.

Lori

What's for Dinner?

#594 Post by Lori »

I found a variety of cookware that will fit in my AF at my local Carrefour Supermarket (just measured the basket to make sure I knew my dimensions). Very inexpensive and quite handy. Whatever type of recipient that goes in the regular oven, will go in the AF.

I've made fruit muffins in the AF. I've used silicon muffin cups and no cups at all. Both worked fine.

suein56

What's for Dinner?

#595 Post by suein56 »

MAD87 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:28 am I usually do baked pots in the microwave.
Do try 1/2 cooking them in the microwave first then brushing a v small amount of olive oil on the outside and finishing them in the Air Fryer .. superb results.
If I don't have a dish the right size for the AF then I just fold a piece of alu foil to fit so I can gingerly lift out the baked potatoes/goat's cheese on baguette/piece of homemade tarte without burning myself.
Usually this results in the airfryer simply needing a wipe over after cooking is finished, rather than a hot wash.

Lori

What's for Dinner?

#596 Post by Lori »

Agree with Sue. I do the same things. It is amazing how the time to roast an eggplant after having been softened in the microwave, can reduce considerably the amount of time to finish it off in the AF. Same for sweet potatoes and many other things.

Sparkle

What's for Dinner?

#597 Post by Sparkle »

Pizza - sort of Lorraine - creme fraiche, lardons fume, onions, cheddar, olives, chilli oil and about anything else that can be thrown on it!
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Spectrum

What's for Dinner?

#598 Post by Spectrum »

Just done sweet and sour chicken with rice, as usual prep time is fairly long cook time quick and it tasted very nice, thanks Mr Hom.

Lori

What's for Dinner?

#599 Post by Lori »

Broccoli soup with American style biscuits for dinner tonight. Husband's playing tennis this evening, so must make something that can sit and wait to be eaten.. Biscuits will go in after he's returned.

Spectrum

What's for Dinner?

#600 Post by Spectrum »

Just making a Beef in Guinness stew, which is in the slow cooker, Sunday re-heat in oven and put some Mustard and herb dumplings in. As I am busy Sat/Sun smoking a flitch of pork 7kgs.