What's for Dinner?

:fork_and_knife: :wine_glass: Wining & Dining in France, eating out, where to buy quality food and drinks, cooking & recipes etc
Doug

Re: What's for Dinner?

#41 Post by Doug »

Numbers complaining of the price and bad quality of veg.
Its not very surprising this year the way the weather has been.
French news has been warning about it for ages.
Is this what we can expect in the future?
Normally we are ok as grow much for ourselves but as with the industry weve been hit by this years weather as well.

Chappers51

#42 Post by Chappers51 »

I too was worried reading a post I certainly didn’t make today 😨😨.

This morning I did some stuffed peppers filled with veg, couscous and beef left over from yesterday (I had intended to do a stir fry, but this was easier)

This afternoon I used up eggs and cheese going past their best before dates to make crustless quiche which I’ll have with salad during the week.

I usually have my main meal at lunchtime but it depends what I’m doing.

MAD87

#43 Post by MAD87 »

No shortage of good cheap veg here, just as well as the potager has been a disaster this year partly due to neglect. What we eat depends on my mood (OH doesn't do anything domestic) and my mood is sometimes ex-ec-rable. I too get sick of providing meals! We eat midday, and apéros exist only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Mangetout

#44 Post by Mangetout »

Out to lunch today so no cooking. But I batch cooked for the freezer at the weekend so we now gave a good supply of beef curry, pork with Agen prunes and blanquette de veau. As for apero, we don't drink alcohol for medical reasons although I do sometimes have a small glass of wine when we go out.

Spardo

#45 Post by Spardo »

The other day I made my dream dinner. It is I think well known that I hate cooking, mainly because I have no choice, if left to herself we would either be blown up, burned out, or starved. So simplicity is what I look for which can be boring, so I cast my mind back to Concorezzo, Milan, in 197-something where drivers from all nations would congregate while awaiting customs clearance and all eating together at Poppa and Momma's resto.

The food was always excellent but from time to time something special was dredged up from the past. An Irish driver and myself were amazed, delighted and then in 7th heaven at the sight of a great big steaming mound of butter lathered boiled cabbage covered with strips of crispy bacon. :lol:

I reproduced that vision this time, albeit with thin belly pork. Wonderful. :D
Of course my one customer was unimpressed. :roll: :lol:

Spectrum

#46 Post by Spectrum »

My wife thinks the smoke alarms are a food timer :D :D

mysty

#47 Post by mysty »

We bought smoked haddock for tonight's meal.
Normally served with rice.

mysty

#48 Post by mysty »

Smoked haddock and risotto, okay the risotto was not dead center of the plate but was still tasty.
20210904_193602.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

suein56

#49 Post by suein56 »

Was that accompaniment your famous cheesy risotto ?

mysty

#50 Post by mysty »

suein56 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:57 pm Was that accompaniment your famous cheesy risotto ?
That ran out months ago and Lidil have not had it back in.
We tried another one from a small ethnic start up company. Uncle Bens. ;)
It's not cheesy so she made up something and put it through it, I got her to fish out the bits of carrot in case I had a reaction to to it.
It went well with the fish but I prefer the cheesy one which she has made from scratch before.